Le Pere Lucien Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jeraldgordon, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I am 3 shaves into a puck of Le Pere Lucien, so I thought I might share a review and some thoughts. First off, this is a truly superb artisanal soap from France. I was searching about for an affordable source last week, and, lo and behold, www.razorbladesandmore.com stocks it!

Ease of lathering: 10/10 I turned my back for a moment and this soap began to lather itself! Truly, I have never seen another soap that lathers like LPL!

Lather stability: 9/10 Tremendous. Lasts and lasts. Face, head, upper torso - you won't have any degradation at all (of the lather that is, can't speak to your body!).

Shave quality: 8/10 Quite slick and good cushion. Not too many will match it.

Skin care: 8/10 Very, very good. Truly top tier in this regard. I have used a couple others that may top it, but it's really a toss up...

Scent: Very subtle - I don't think it has any actual scent added, just the clean smell of the natural ingredients.

Price: 7/10 $20 for a 100 gram puck. Might seem somewhat steep, but if it lasts as long as reputed it is overall a good value.

I'm not easily impressed by the big names in soap. I have a very tough beard that grows every which way, and sensitive skin. I've had many soaps that I really wanted to like that just couldn't cut it. And I've learned that performance is everything, regardless of the price point, or what name is attached. The top tier soaps in my den are Mike's Natural, and our own JoAnna's Lanolin. These soaps are unmatched in shaving quality and skin care, in my experience. I now add Le Pere Lucien to that very short list! I would say it falls between these two - Mike's has a smidge more cushion, JoAnna's is a little slicker. All offer superb skin care.

If you have been looking for an excuse to give LPL a try, consider yourself enabled! Tell SWMBO some old goat gave you permission...
    ;)

image.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice review!
    I've read elsewhere where it is comparable to MdC in a number of ways, perhaps a bit softer.
    If I wasn't currently awash in pucks of unused shaving soap, I'd seriously consider giving it a try.
    $15.99 for a 100g refill is reasonable for a quality soap.

3. moz68

moz68 Well-Known Member

Excellent review!!!

jeraldgordon likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for writing the review! I'll order some in the near future. Again thanks.
    Kerry

jeraldgordon likes this.
  5. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

Just before reading your post I ordered a puck. Nice to read your review, nice justification!
    Thanks!

jeraldgordon likes this.
  6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Nice review. LPL is in the top 5 of my soaps. Hard to beat!

jeraldgordon likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Darn you, you old goat! ;)

One more thing I have to add to my "get" list.

How noticeable is the eucalyptus note?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    jeraldgordon likes this.
  8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I just ordered some last night...I'll chime in when I get mine! Heard too many good things to keep it out of my den. I also got the refill puck $21 shipped from razorbladesandmore.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a good soap for sure. I like everything about this one, scent, lather and post shave.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, maybe someone else will chime in... I don't notice a eucalyptus note, but I'm not too good at this sort of thing! I love eucalyptus, TSD Lanolin Eucalyptus with menthol is a favorite of mine, but I wasn't aware of eucalyptus in this...

11. richgem

Eucalyptus was listed on the site scent description and it's not a note I care for unless I'm sick. So, if you loving euc didn't notice it, I should be in the clear.

12. CyanideMetal

Didn't notice any of the Euc myself.

13. richgem

Sounding better and better.

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Me either.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Man...ANOTHER soap to buy. Glad my wife doesn't notice the shaving supplies multiplying - or at least doesn't say anything.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  16. CyanideMetal

If you decide to try it and don't like it for whatever reason, I'll buy it from you so you aren't out a cent. I'll make a stick out of it. Now you have no reason NOT to buy it.

moz68, Tjebbe and jeraldgordon like this.
  17. richgem

Ack, another enabler! :D

Shamrock and jeraldgordon like this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Nice review. I just ordered some from Badger Shaving Co. in Vancouver B.C. Anxious to give this soap a whirl.

19. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

20. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

Your review was great. I really like your detailed descriptions and reasoning for your like of this soap. I will say that this review will be hard on those of us with SSAD!

jeraldgordon likes this.