Learning Curve Of New Razors...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Today was my 4th (and best) shave with my new RazoRock Mission. I am still getting used to this razor as it is far more aggressive than my Merkur 33C that I have been using exclusively for the past 9 months. I have learned that there are spots on my face that I cannot shave the same way I'm used to because of the aggression. I got a small weeper on my lip under the nostril because I went across the grain like I am used to doing. Nothing major and it stopped bleeding within minutes. Other than that it was an amazingly close and efficient shave. I received a 2 pass DFS..............So my question is how long does it take you guys to get used to a new razor? Are there razors that you got used to right away? Are there razors that you just couldn't make work?

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Generally speaking I am able to dial in a new razor in around 7-10 shaves and even a shorter time if the razor is less aggressive than my regular razors.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Ride the cap. All razors are the same. The Mission is a Merkur clone, and it's actually very similar to the Merkur, and both are regarded as mild/moderate. It's actually not "aggressiveness" that causes problems. It's bad angle and pressure causing the blade to scrape at a high angle. Ponder this...if blood free, irritation free bbs is possible with a straight razor, with ultimate aggressiveness, then wouldn't technique be the solution to most issues?

They're are basically only three types of razors in production as three piece.

Tech clones
    Muhle clones
    Merkur clones

Look closely at razors you are considering. I see many guys basically buy the same razor over and over, while failing to address the real issue of technique.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This is a really important bit of advice. My second razor was much more aggressive than my first one, but it actually gave me better shaves from the start. That's not to say that I wasn't getting weepers every now and then, and I still get a lot of irritation when I don't pay attention to my technique. However, using a shallow angle makes a world of a difference.

I think that it's safe to say that getting really proficient with a new razor can take many shaves. The 30 day focus is a good place to start. I just got a new razor myself and when I'm done going through my blade sample pack, I'm going to hit up the focus group.

Keithmax, Spyder, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  5. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Its all technique brother, if you have good technique and good soap you could probably shave with a rusty soup can lid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

One.

I started way back when with fixed head carts; no pivoting head. I believe that made the transition to DEs and SEs super easy since I knew how to find optimum angle rather quickly.

gorgo2, Spyder, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  7. Christopher Powell

No doubt it's all technique. Also, I have the Mission head on a very heavy Utopia long handle. For an experiment I am going to use the Mission head on the very small and light Merkur 33C handle and see the differences.

Spyder, jimjo1031 and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I'm surprised that some of us are suggesting it might take weeks to learn an unfamiliar razor. I'm an ordinary guy, with an 80 year old hand, and in my experience it takes me only a shave or two. Or maybe three.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

By my third pass ive already figured out the razor, but that's with almost four years of wet shaving and a bunch of razors I've owned. YMWV

10. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

2 or 3 shaves is all it takes for me to hate or like a new razor. If all that super technique is required what's the point? I've been at this wet shaving routine for 50+ years. A new razor better feel ok by shave 2 or I don't use it again! With razors that I like any blade will do though I like some blades and don't like others. They are all sharp enough! Recently I bought a one blade razor and I absolutely LOVE it. With Feather or modified Gem blades it works the best. Since it is said it is made in China I have to admire their machining skills! But in the end, I use 3 piece and one piece razors most every day. The one blade razor is simply too easy to use! IMHO like a cartridge razor without all the ingrown hair troubles?

RyX, Spyder, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  11. Christopher Powell

So last night I put the RazoRock Mission head on the Merkur 33C handle. This handle is short and light. WOW, what a difference. The aggressiveness that I was used to when the Mission head was on the long/heavy handle was cut in half. This resulted in an amazing shave with no irritation. I achieved a 2 pass DFS with a Derby Extra blade! I know I am in the minority on this, but I much prefer a short and light handle over a long and heavy handle. Does anyone know where I can purchase handles of varying sizes and weights?

Demidog likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Folks with all the info will show up shortly. I've recently started using a Fatip. Didn't like the Piccolo handle, so I swapped around caps and handles until I found something that works for me. That led me to paying attention when someone drops crumbs about sources of replacement handles.
    Here is a Buy It Now on the bay. They list dimensions and thread size, but not weight.

13. Bama Samurai

Maggard

14. Bama Samurai

The pressure is what changed when you went with a smaller mass handle.

RyX likes this.
  15. Christopher Powell

The reverse must also be true !!! I just used the very mild Merkur 33C head on the heavy and long Utopia Care handle. This resulted in an amazing shave with absolutely no irritation. The Merkur 33C head is far more effective on this handle than it is on the handle it came with in my opinion. This shave also benefited from the perfection of a fresh Astra Superior Stainless blade !!!

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have also found that handles of different lengths even if the weights are the same change the shave as well.

Demidog, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well said Chris.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

A couple of shaves and I'm usually able to hit the glide path. But the R41 took me a few more trips.

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Mostly by the end of the first pass/ beginning of the second I have it figured out. I don't think about it much just go by feel.