Let's talk about the dark side of wet shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morning Shave, Jan 8, 2016.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can't remember when the last time I bled from shaving, I have used pretty aggressive razors you really need to pay attention, have a great slick, cushion-y lather.
    Shaving is more than a razor.
    Razor.
    Knowing your razor.
    Knowing when to stop.
    Blade choice.
    Soap choice.
    Ability to create a good later.

After all this is shaving, have fun.

Redrock, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mole on my left cheek, Gillette Fatboy on 4 or 5 using a Feather blade glides right across. When I use any straight razor I'm careful to work around that obstacle. Had the most blood letting using a shavette that took half a DE blade. Close shaves, but less forgiving than a straight or DE.

AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I rarely cut myself anymore, but the last few times I did see blood, it normally comes from a flinch or other silly movement on my part. the aggressivenessof the razor really would have no consequence.

AGHisBBS, Tdmsu and mrchick like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Occasionally I'll get a weeper but hardly ever a real nick. Most weepers are sealed up with a splash of cold water. I've not had a nick when shaving my head for about 5 months and that is all done by feel

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

For me a cut is a function of poor technique and not blade exposure or blade to head gap. Razors should shave via shear. That is scraping the razor's edge perpendicular to its long axis. If you pull or draw you risk slicing and that causes cuts. You burn via pressure. Too much pressure and the razor stops floating on the surface digs in like a wood plane.

6. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

Truly interesting thread. If one listens with an open mind there is a lot of good tips.
    I do believe that a mis step with an aggressive razor can do more damage than with a mild razor. I believe a straight razor can do more damage than an aggressive DE.
    Living on the edge has its rewards but you might pay a price if you slip.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Hmmm. If only we knew someone who could talk about technique vs. tools. But who to call?? @Bama Samurai

AGHisBBS, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

With DE, regardless of head type, bleeding beyond a weeper on the mustache is exceedingly rare. The damage truly is caused by improper technique for the given razor design. Used improperly, any tool can do more harm than good. If bleeding occurs with any regularity, it's the techniques, absent a defective blade bevel.

Safety razors are called safety razors because they can't really cut the user too badly. There is simply not enough blade exposure or gap on most safety razors to fully penetrate into the body. They can however, open a small wound, and wounds to the face tend to bleed freely. I think many times in the heat of the moment, there is a tendency to overestimate the actual severity of the wound.

However, in 1870, "I cut my self shaving" was a whole different proposition.

AGHisBBS, CyanideMetal, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If I'm tired, rushing or not paying attention, I can cut myself with anything. If I'm focused and have a rudimentary familiarity with a razor, I can't be cut.

oldjoe, Redrock, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I rarely get a cut or a nick but if I do it's almost always my fault. The most frequent culprit is lack of focus. Early morning, thinking about a busy day ahead, one eye on the clock, etc.
    The other contributor I have is that I'm always buying and trying. If I used the same razor/blade combo every shave my missteps would mostly disappear. Sometimes I try to use the same razor more than two shaves in a row but mostly I grab a different razor almost every time so it's almost impossible to get into a groove. When I step into the den for a shave it's like all of the razors are calling me like crying babies.
    I'm also in with a few others who have mentioned lopping off an obstacle like a pimple or small mole or bump. I sometimes shave like the snowplow driver who occasionally takes out a mailbox.
    And then as far as weepers go, I'm currently having to be more careful as my dry skin is affected by winter temperature and humidity so even with plenty of moisturizing products I still need to be very careful.

Redrock, AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I get the most irritation, nicks and weepers from mild razors like Techs or Super Speeds. When I go to an Old Type, my Red Tip or my Ikon slant I have fewer problems. I think mild = less efficient and aggressive = more efficient. Efficiency, in my mind, means how much, or how little, you have to work to accomplish the same shave. To me, mild means more work.

AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and mrchick like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My most aggressive razor is my 2011 R41. The paid in blood to use this razor but now blood is rare and get the closest and least irritating shaves from this razor. Very mild razors like a Tech end up causing me a lot of irritation.

Ultimately you need to find out what is best for you. Some people hate the R41 and love the Tech. I agree technique is needed but using the wrong tool for the job even if you use it well is a problem. That being said my 2011 R41 is very picky about what blades work in it, only Super Iridium and GSB blades work that razor.

A caveat is that as long as I focus with a DE there is a very low chance for blood. Get sloppy, let my mind wander or rush then I bleed.

13. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

When I started this thread I expected that the results would have more members having mishaps. It appears that a rare laps in technique is the major cause of mishaps. It also appears that proper technique is the only way to get the most out of a mild or aggressive razor. No dispute here. All this is common sense. But, when a mishap occurs, rare or not, it is also common sense that the more aggressive, (ie, more exposure of the blade) the razor is, the deeper the damage.

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and Kilgore Trout like this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Yes Sir. It is a sharp beast.

AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In general, yes. More gap and exposure could potentially mean greater pentration into the body, but again, nearly all DE cuts are superficial in nature.

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

The only aggressive razor I have is my Slim, on the rare occasion I set it above "5" (which is why I leave it on "3"), and I draw blood when I use crappy blades (usually what HEB's has in stock, the last ones being van der Hagen). I haven't nicked myself once since going to better blades.

18. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone and everyone do not have weepers with most every close shave, and after 2 or 3 passes with some buffering? One reason I like the As-D2 Feather razor so much and the Gillette techs is that it is near impossible for me to cut myself but a very close shave always seems to include a weeper or two? When working for a living I used every different kind of cartridge razor known or that came along with time and they too always resulted in a weeper or two with a close shave? Possibly many don't have so close after all? OR their skin is akin to working boot shoe leather? OR it's me? But, I doubt it. I think the meaning of blood letting is different in the minds of everyone. And definitely I consider a weeper or two normal. A cut or a nick is a different thing in my mind. I also find the thicker the head on a razor, the easier it is to cut or nick my nose! And razors like the Futur are nose nickers! TO finish I should say I never show blood with a simple WTG shave, but I am also never going to be satisfied with just a WTG shave. 3 passes for me: WTG, ACG, ATG and some buffering. And if my technique is as good as I am able to manage---just a couple of weepers that cold water and or alum will close off quickly. Old thin skin, I suppose?

19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I use my Futur on 5.5 or 6 daily. I get a small weeper sometimes, maybe once or twice a month. Less often I'll nick my mole if I'm being sloppy.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As I said, it is rare I see blood, even from a weeper. Not saying it NEVER happens.

It's in my sig line - You just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.