Letting Face Rest Between Shaves

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by toothpastedog, Apr 27, 2014.

1. toothpastedog

toothpastedog New Member

So I've now been wet shaving with a DE razor for a full FOUR days :D

My very first shave went really quite well - no nicks, weeper or razor burn. Just took it super slow, made short passes and didn't apply any force, letting the weight of the razor do all the work. I was so impressed with the quality of the shave, so much closer than any shave I've ever had before. My face came away feeling much, much healthier than it has ever felt before.

So, the next day things didn't work out at well. No nicks or weepers, but some nasty. Plus it just didn't feel good like the first time, just didn't feel right at all really. Plus, unlike the first time, I couldn't hear the razor cutting the whiskers at all, or feel them being cut, it was just like the razor glided over my face (and it was being held at the correct angle for my face).

My whiskers don't grow very fast thought, so I had an idea. Waited a god 48hrs till my next shave, until I had some real stubble going that I could see. Today I shaved again it BOOM! Amazing again. I could hear the razor working and feel it cutting my whiskers (I'm much better going by sound than sight with this stuff). Felt great like the first, although I got a little ahead of myself and followed WTG and XTG passes with an ATG pass, which is just to say I got a couple nicks on my neck this time.

Still, all in all, it was an infinitely better shave than anything before - even my first DE shave - and even with the nicks (used styptic pencil to clean 'em up) I came away with a better looking, healthier feeling face. So smooth, so soft. Who needs pheromones to get the ladies' attention when you have Clubmans Vanilla?

TL;DR
    I love wet shaving and it seems to work better when I give it a day to let my whiskers grow back enough to properly shave.

Do you feel it is worthwhile to give your face a rest of a day between shaves?
    With more and more DE shaving, will I be able to enjoy shaving on a daily basis in the future?

Especially for those of you with whiskers that don't grow fast, and of course those of us who are new at this game. As much as I love how wet shaving makes my face feel, look and smell after a shave, I kinda wish I could do it three times a day :cool:

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

This is more common of a practice than you may think. Sounds like it works for you and that is what counts. Enjoy your shaves.

3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I rarely shave two days in a row due to very sensitive skin. Because of occasional nicks and weepers and the time it takes to properly wet shave, I almost always shave at night. This gives my face time to heal before work.

JRod22 likes this.
  4. It's been years since I've had to shave everyday...oh wait, it was when I started using DE's and then straights :p
    Shaving with a "real razor" such as a De or straight gives a much better shave so that you don't have to shave everyday. And even if you're one of those guys who can grow a Grizzly Adams beard in a week...the fact that 3 passes with a DE or straight is actually 3 passes and much gentler on your face. Think of using a cartridge....passes + # of blades = actual passes....Ouch!

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Been shaving every day since I joined the AF back in 1980.
    Back then I did take the weekends and holidays off from shaving.

Since I started traditional wet shaving about six years ago, I've probably only missed shaving half a dozen times.
    Yes, a 3-pass shave every day of the week. I'm fortunate, if you want to call it that, that I can shave that often and not suffer any ill effects.

But as has been said, you gotta do what works for you.

7. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I used to shave everyday for the for 8-10 months of DE shaving just because I was so excited to shave. Turns out my face does well with a day of rest to prevent irritation. Mines my a skin thing than a stumble thing. But you have to find out what's best for you. My goal is to avoid irritation, shave bumps, and ingrowns, and after abou 16 months or so of this I think I've got a good routine. The only thing that will get it is trying out a new razor that's too aggressive.

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have to wait at least 1-2 days because I sometimes get razor bumps 2 days after a shave hahaha its weird but thats how it is. Might have been the sucky blade. I'm going through a blade sampler, I'm on my Astra now, I think I found ONE! =) first and second shave was great =) I'm not gonna get cocky with third shave yet =P

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you are experiencing skin rash or tender spots after shaving consecutive days, I would recommend skipping a day or so, or at the very least, avoid those inflamed areas to allow for healing. The worst course of action would be to continue to aggravate those areas (simply 'tough it out') for it will make shaving a painful ordeal rather than a pleasurable morning routine.
    As your skin adapts to wet-shaving, and as your technique improves, you will experience less weepers & nicks, as well as less 'tender spots.' I have sensitive skin. It reacts negatively to many products and/or a rough shave. Good pre-shave prep goes a long way in minimizing skin irritation. I shave daily. There are times when I have shaved 3 to 4 times a day for consecutive days (testing & comparing soaps) with both straight razor and DE razor, and suffered no negative effects.
    It is no secret how I can do this: 1) use good prep 2) use good equipment 3) use good technique.

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I shave every two days, sometimes every 3. We have some people that shave weekly. It's all YMMV

11. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I shave every 36-48 hours. By 48 hours, my sandpaper face is driving me crazy. For me, 36 hours is my sweet spot.

Omelmad and BigMark like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Let your face tell you.

Ceferguson, Omelmad and jpb437 like this.
  13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I try to keep to a similar routine myself. I just started using a milder razor and that has helped as well. I went from a Weber to a Tech. I must say I LOVE the Tech.