Lighter Help - Butane not Filling

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by COMPNOR, May 13, 2018.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about butane lighters. The model in question is a Colibri Firebird I got off of Etsy. it sparks well, but doesn't fill. I've tried purging the tank, but no air came out. When I try filling it, I press down with the butane bottle but nothing. I've tried three different butanes (Zippo, Dunhill, and Colibri) but nothing seems to work.

I looked at Authorized Repair Service (they did my Dunhill Rollagas), but they don't appear to service Colibri butane lighters.

So anyone have any thoughts? my Google-fu only seems to turn up purging the tank.

Thanks!

Keithmax likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Try putting the lighter in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before filling. Yes I know it sounds crazy. If it still doesn't work it sounds like you've got a blocked filling valve.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had two Colibri lighters mess up on me, many years ago. One wouldn't fill, and one wouldn't reliably keep the flame going. I wasn't happy with their warranty and decided it wasn't worth the money to send the second one in.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Try pressing in about half way. Let the butane vent a tad then press all the way in. Sometimes that works. Also sometimes I have to press in and out several times to get my triple torch to start filling. Not sure why the dang thing is hard to fill sonetimes.

5. COMPNOR

I actually tried that. No joy.

That sucks. It is such a nice looking lighter too. Was going to be my daily instead of my bic (nothing wrong with it, just doesn't have any flair to it)

Thanks, I tried that. It is weird. It almost seems like the butane can nozzle doesn't fit the stem. Guess I'm just SOL with this one.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like a bad filler valve. I have had mine well over a year with great service out of it.

7. COMPNOR

I'd be happy to swap with you.:cool: