Likelihood of an allergic reaction to a badger hair brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Pipps, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Pipps

Pipps New Member

Dear Esteemed Gentlemen

I have always had allergies to both cat and dog hair. Childhood with pets at home was a nightmare. I stay pet free, now that I am of bearded age.

My question is - is it likely that I will have an allergic reaction if I start using a badger hair brush?

What have other pet-allergic shavers experienced on this subject?

I would rather invest in a top-end synthetic brush right away if the norm seems to be that I would most likely find badger hair irritant.

I look forward to your advice.

Thank you.

Pipps

2. Moe

Moe Active Member

I made a slight edit above. Maybe start with an inexpensive boar brush from your local Pharmacy, if no problems there, try an inexpensive Badger brush.

3. xChris

xChris Member

The animal hair brushes are cleaned (sterilized, sanitized) during manufacturing. Is your allergy with the hair or dander of the animals?

Going with a synthetic is the safest option of course. But, Moe's suggestion of a cheap (~$5-10) boar brush might help you determine if the more expensive badger brushes would be problematic.

4. Rangers62

Rangers62 New Member

Allergy

Hi Pipps

I too have an allergy to cats and dogs.

As far as I can judge, it is as our friend stated the dander, not the hair itself.

I have been using badger and boar brushes (boar maybe an option?) with absolutely no problems.

I see you are a fellow Brit, have a look at the starter sets in www.traditionalshaving.co.uk

I got my set there and brush has given me great service.

Good luck

Russell

5. Pipps

Pipps New Member

Kind Sirs!

Thank you for your advice. Though I would not wish to purchase more than one brush, I must admit that it would seem difficult to tell whether I would have an allergic response or not.

I am not sure how to distinguish between pet dander and hair. I suppose everywhere that hair is found, dander will be found also. Those pesky pets!

Still, we have a lot to thank the badgers for. Although I hope no badger would be offended if I were to invest in a synthetic brush, just to play it safe.

I am reminded of the adage: 'Only wealthy people can afford the luxury of buying cheap things.' I would hate to spend-out on a cheap boar-hair brush if I was to find myself grow unsatisfied with it over time.

Can anyone recommend a good synthetic brush from experience, or would that be the subject of a forum search, or another thread?

Rangers, thank you for the recommendation on your brush and kit supplier. I will definitely give them a thorough perusal. Brits, unite! :D

Best wishes one and all

Pipps

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Then get a nice boar brush. Even a very nice boar brush only costs $20-$30 (15-20 GBP).

7. Hi there, and welcome to this place,

Here's a link you might find useful. Keep in mind that this is a fairly old thread, but it should give you some ideas about synthetics.

The B&B member (Bjorn) was really nice to make the effort putting this together......see what you think.

Have fun with the loooong read......heh.
    Martin

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27683&highlight=synthetic+brush+reviews

8. JimR

JimR Active Member

??? More like $15! Paul at Connaught is selling them for about 9 GBP...yay Paul!