Loading a brush....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by zfazzio, Aug 17, 2016.

1. zfazzio

zfazzio New Member

When loading a brush from a hard puck or semi-hard croap, does one exert light pressure, thereby loading just the tips of the brush with soap -- or should you press down, splaying the brush and really working the soap deeper into the brush towards the knot?

Kizurra and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The tip, just the tip. See if it feels good;)

Kizurra, Matt0210, youngunn and 5 others like this.
  3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I try to splay the brush a bit to load it up. A little pressure, but not a grinding pressure.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use, I don't abuse.
    By that I mean I use some pressure, just not enough to splay the brush so the bottom of the knot is touching the soap!
    The brush is a tool. If/when it wears out, I'll buy a new one. I don't baby 'em.

Just by noticing the two answers above mine - one to use JUST the tips, another to go ahead and splay a little - should tell you it's your brush, use it your way. Experiment and find out what works best for you.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @zfazzio ! Good first post. Find your way to the Newbie Introduction thread, sign up for the Newbie give away, and check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus group. No such thing as a stupid question, there's lot's to learn and plenty of folks who like to share opinions, advice, and actual information.

Getting soap deep in the bristles seems a bit wasteful. But while learning to lather, don't worry about washing some down the drain. It's better to have too much soap than not enough. If your brush is a bit floppy, choke up on it by grabbing some bristles. Do you face lather, or use a bowl? Either way the objective is lather on your face, and that happens from the tips.
    just the tip.jpg

6. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been using soft soaps for the most part but I press very lightly when loading, if at all. My first brush had too much backbone and was stiff as a wire, so when I was still using it, I would barely even let it touch the soap, otherwise it would just completely tear it up.

I now have a nicer, softer brush that doesn't tear out chunks of soap when loading, so sometimes I press down a very tiny bit when loading but I never splay the brush. I do the same with the harder soaps that I've used since there's really no need to exert pressure.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

My "just the tip" was a joke that some got and some had it fly by...but in all seriousness, if you know how to lather, you really don't need much soap at all. I can pull up enough easily by lightly loading the tips of the brush.

Of course, this also depends on the brush. Boar brushes can be super easy to load. Badger and synthetics can be a bit of a gambit. I have a stirling soap co. "Kong" synthetic that is a lather monster!

I recommend going with what works, but experimenting when you can. I used to use more soap, but now a puck lasts me forever. When your technique is on point, you will use far less soap. It all has to do with your soap/water/air ratio.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When loading your brush, first be sure the safety is on.
    On hard soaps I load for about 40 seconds with just the tip, no splaying. I save the splaying for face lathering. No bowl required.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't get frustrated if you try what someone suggests something that works for them but you fail miserably.
    Consider this...

Your brush may be a different size
    Your brush may be a different material
    You may have a different soap or cream
    Your idea of "light pressure" may be different
    Your idea of a "damp brush" may be different
    Your water may be harder or softer

All of the above play a part in whipping up a lather.

So try all the advice. You may only need 30 seconds, or you may need 50. Just don't give up. If you have a brush made to be a shave brush, and you have a soap or cream designed to be a shave soap or cream, you can make lather.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    Works great in almost all situations. Good rule of thumb.

:signs011:
    Wow! I load for about 3 seconds. I do face lather, which takes a lot less soap than bowl lathering.

@zfazzio , I found that the amount of water on/in the brush makes a huge difference. Try it very wet, then try it wet, then slightly dry and see the difference it makes.

BTW - I love the new "+Quote" feature.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My MWF and TABAC are my hard soaps, and I do load them for 30-40 seconds.

whiteboy_cannon and markjnewcomb like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm guessing you don't bloom them? Some do, I don't. Well I don't have experience with those two soaps, but on hard soaps using a boar or synthetic brush it doesn't take long to load.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  15. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

When I use my Taylor's brush I hardly need to put any pressure when loading. With my synthetic smaller brush I need more and it takes a bit longer to load.

16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I use mild pressure on tips, never found a need to press down or splay a brush to load soap.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I load the brush like it owes me money. It's a tool to me to be used.

Marc D, RyX, youngunn and 1 other person like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I splay some, just not a lot. As it has been said, it a tool, use it, don't abuse it. I use Boar brushes, so I'm not afraid to splay a little.

swarden43 likes this.
  19. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I mildly splay it. To get some soap down in the knot. Do not aggressively mash it however you'll risk damaging the knot. Then create proto lather by swirling on too of the puck, loading for about 30-45 seconds. Sometimes 60 of I want tons of lather.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I find I use less preasure with synthetic brushes.
    Actually I'm thinking i use less preasure with all softer knots.
    The softer or floppier the more i concentrate on using just the tips
    The stiffer brushes get a bit hardier use.

Terry Williams likes this.