Loading a brush....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by zfazzio, Aug 17, 2016.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

I agree on the point of making things confusing for new folks. I deobfuscate when ever possible. There's plenty to learn without inventing words or reassigning new meaning to old ones. Sign of the times. "Bloom" is the new moisten.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

PickledNorthern likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now THAT I can accept; releasing the scent. What I refuse to accept is when people use the term bloom in lieu of soak for the purpose of "ease of loading the brush."

Col C, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

But if you put a teaspoon or so of water on top of your soap are you soaking it?

Maybe we need a whole different term. "Wettening", "Softenicating"?? How about "dampifying??

RyX likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I was to use just a teaspoon, then, yes, I would expect one of the terms you mention.
    When I think soak, I think near, if not completely immersed. If the soap is right up to the edge of its container, then soaking would mean enough water to completely cover the top of the soap, the sides of the container preventing water from completely surrounding the soap.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

See below photo. This was my shave about an hour ago (posted on the SOS thread) - this is what I mean by blooming or soaking - I'm fine with either term. I completely cover the soap with hot water, up to the brim of the container and let it sit for a minute or so. I then pour the "soapy" water off into my hand and rub it onto my face before applying lather. Between the wetness of the soap and the additional water from a brush, that was soaked and then shaken, there usually is enough for a great lather. Some soaps still need a few drops more.
    Dec 21,2016.jpg

6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

A brush is just a brush. Soak it in warm water for a minute or two, shake off excess water and then apply to the soap and swirl. If is is a mushy soap used daily it won't take much to load. If it is a harder puck that is used infrequently then a bit more pressure may be applied. Go crazy...swirl that brush! :scared011:

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I rotate my soaps daily - and let them totally dry between uses. The above SOC boar really produces excellent lather. I'm sure the stiffness helps.