Long hair tips?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by J.R., Jan 20, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any tips for shaving when you have long hair? I've been letting it grow out for a couple years now. It was easy enough when using gel and a cartridge to keep my wet hair out of the way, but wet shaving is a little more involved, and it keeps falling in the way.. I think I've seen little spring loaded hair clips, maybe use those to clip it back? It isn't long enough to get it all back in a ponytail yet...
    I have a goatee too, and it's getting long. It kinda gets in the way too...

AGHisBBS and BigCabDaddy like this.
  2. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Way back in the day when I had longer hair, I use to Steel these from my daughter :D they work like a champ.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS and J.R. like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Cool, I don't use clips for daily styling, so I don't really know what is even available. I was thinking of these: [​IMG]

Yours looks better.. maybe just go to that isle at walmart and try a few different things. Want something to get the goatee out of the way a bit too, but an old fashioned hairpin may work there, too..

AGHisBBS and Joef like this.
  4. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Those would be great for the goat! But that black clip thing is super easy for your hair. There like 2 bucks at Wally world.

5. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I'd say Bobby pins, hair band, whatever works. For me, advanced shaving becomes a zone thing with the goatee as a zone unto itself.

AGHisBBS, J.R. and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I was ready to tell you to put it up in a ponytail till I got to the part where you said it's not long enough for that yet.
    I put mine in a ponytail but you could just as easy use a hair band to keep it back. My wife has a bunch of them so sometimes I'll grab one if I'm bent over trying to do something and my hair won't stay out of the way.

Double Edge Dougy, AGHisBBS and J.R. like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

yeah, bangs and in front of my ears need a couple more months. Can't wait till I can pull it all back with one tie, long hair takes a lot of patience to grow out..

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

I have worn long hair for so long I don't know what my head looks like. Variable lengths from shoulders to wayyyy down my back.

When mine wasn't quite long enough to pull in a low ponytail I'd rock the top knot man bun. Works like a champ with shorter bangs.

Maybe that could work...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I didn't think of a man bun. Not a fan of the look (on myself), but it's great when wrenching. If I can't find some clips that work, I'm sure that will. Didn't even think of that!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Give that a shot. I just noticed my profile pic is old when I had recently donated a length of hair.

Def was a man bun....

12. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I use a Merino Wool Head Buff. Longer than most and like most Buffs, can be used in a variety of ways. Wouldn't be without it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

It isn't too hot in a steamy bathroom? I'm not much of a hat person, don't wear them much. They do look cool, have to try one. Got some clips at lunchtime, I think they should get me though..

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Merino is thermo-regulatory but not an issue in the bathroom because it'll only be on your hair. If you know the Buff range, look at another model but I promise you, the Merino Wool Buff is a great bit of kit.

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I used to use a bandana when my hair was longer. Kept it out of the way while shaving, then combed my hair.

J.R. likes this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

[​IMG]

Jasman and twhite like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

got these today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my first professional beard cut ever. Beard is good, I will have to play with the clips a little, but I think I can make them work. Thanks for all the advice! If not these I will try others...

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

HAHA the obvious always seems to elude us. That is perfect. I think I will grow my hair long just so I can use a shower cap to shave. It will go perfectly with my shaving Kilt.

Tom

Erik Redd likes this.
  19. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Sorry, no tips. Not enough hair left to grow long.

Greg W.

20. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

scissors? :)

J.R. likes this.