Longer growth, better shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ordinaryshaver, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Same here, I shave pretty much every day, but will miss a Saturday every once in awhile. I think waiting longer between, the shaves may be better because your are really changing the appearance and face feel between. Maybe a mind trick? All other days are three passes with a str8, and if I don't get a bbs, the razor gets an edge refreshment.
    I mean no disrespect here, but switching from carts; a bbs irritation free shave was my main goal for the change in the first place. If that wasn't worth of striving for, I should have just stayed with the status quo.
    And I get where Steve (@swarden43 ) is coming from. Many guys want it it all: fast, efficient, irritation free, et all, but don't want to put in the effort and time it takes to get there. The old cliche': Good-Fast-Cheap; pick two.....

Keithmax and PickledNorthern like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I prefer to shave every day, but I'll have to get an actual routine again to get back to it. So I try for every other to every third day, and sometimes end up at a week. *sigh*. I've found that daily is fine, every other is easy to do, but after four days, it's a PITA, and takes about twice as long. I do a modified two pass shave. Often it's just two passes in the same direction, and that's good enough to look and feel good. I don't follow the grain, because I've simply found good results with my modified wtg/xtg, and when I've tried to do the full follow the grain, THAT'S when the lumps, bumps, corrugations, and dips end up bloody. However, that's simply MY face, and I'm all for people trying WTG, ATG, and XTG. It doesn't work for me, that's all.

Spyder likes this.
  3. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I love shaving so much i find it hard to skip a day, i usually do a 2-pass shave every morning but once in a while i will skip a day or two .. it's been years since i've went more than 2-3 days without shaving. I just think it's a perfect way to start the day !

Spyder and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Are the shaves better on a 2 to 3 day growth?

Spyder likes this.
  5. LuvWetShavin

IMO if they are it's not enough to make me want to skip 2-3 days between shaves. I actually haven't missed a day yet this year :)

Spyder likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am not quite that hard core. I miss a day now and then when I do not work.

Spyder and LuvWetShavin like this.
  7. LuvWetShavin

Actually skipping todays shave :) yesterday i received the Paradigm 17-4 razor and i want to have some stubble to mow down for Wednesday morning

Spyder likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Geeeeeeetttttttttt. Itttttttttttt.!!!

Spyder and LuvWetShavin like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I suppose it is just my mind playing tricks on me, but I will test it again, as I am in the single edge safety razor train for the time being, I missed today's shave, (super cold weather for central Texas, and preps had to come first)
    So wednsday, will be 2 day growth.
    I imagine the gem, will take it off just as well with one day, as 2 however.