Looking for a shaving brush with tough fibers (not too much tough)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by idan, Jan 20, 2017.

1. idan

idan Active Member

hello to everyone: I'm looking for a recommendation for a shaving brush with tough fibers (not too much tough),not springy, not too soft, in a small size, and not so expensive (until 45$), does not really matter to me kind of a shaving brush.. it can be a: boar, badger, mixed, synthetic, horse and more ...
    often I have hairs under the skin (Ingrown Hairs), so i must a shaving brush with tough fibers that can help to me release the ingrown hairs.
    I currently have 2 shaving brush and I'm not satisfied:
    the first one: Omega 10066 (24 mm knot) - too large, springy, floppy.
    the second: RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic (24 mm knot) - too large, too much soft.

I thought about few options: semogue 610, Kent Infinity Silvertex, Muhle Silvertip Fibre V2 Synthetic, Vulfix 404.

suggestions and recommendations be welcome :)

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Sounds like you need a brush with a shorter loft. Maybe a Shavemac extreme flat top.

[Edit] not in your price range

Perhaps reknot one of your brushes and set the hole depth lower to decrease the loft. Use rubber cement so it is not a permanent install. You can pull the knot out and drill the hole lower until you find the right loft.

Col C, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

You might want a pure badger brush or a badger-boar mix, like the Vulfix 404 (Grosvenor). That brush comes in both pure badger and badger-boar mix. I have the pure badger version that's about 20 years old and it's still prickly.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Do you have a brush that is 20 years old? Thats impressive. Do you still use it?

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you're located, but my best advice would be a synthetic like the ones offered by Stirlingsoap.com. I'm completely satisfied with mine, tips as soft as any badger I've ever used, but plenty of backbone so it's not floppy.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. DesertTime

I still use it when I travel. It has not been used daily over the past 8 years or so. I see no reason why a decent brush, well cared for, cannot last well over 20 years. But there are other people more knowledgable about brushes on the forum who would know best. I just shave and tend to stick with something for a long time if it works.

7. DesertTime

For the OP, I just read a comparison of the Semoque 610 vs. 620. You might want to look at that post. There were some very knowledgable responses that may address your search for a brush.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Because you said small, my recommendation would be an Omega 11047. It's an inexpensive boar/badger mix that has good backbone and scritch. Mine has been my travel brush since 2012.
    [​IMG]

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and Carbide Mike like this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am no expert on brushes, but goathair seems to be what you may like as far as feel. They fit in between all other brushes. Just food for thought. :)

RyX likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It sounds as though you are looking for something in a 20-22 mm size, with a finest two-band badger knot.

Though not a finest knot, the Simpsons Special might be the brush you are looking for. It uses best hair, rather than finest, but it's not too scratchy. 19 mm knot.
    [​IMG]

Maggard's 22mm brush actually looks like a better value.
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/produc...-2-band-badger-shaving-brush-aluminum-handle/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    SpeedyPC and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. idan

idan Active Member

I checked the "Simpsons Special" shaving brush the knot is great , but the loft is too small (only 40 mm loft)...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer two band badger, 22mm knot, 44mm loft. It took me years to decide those were the perfect dimensions for my particular preference.

It looks as though you have a pretty good idea of what you want. :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nylon.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Who makes goathair brushes?
    Sounds interesting and unique.
    Pics, and links????

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Amish use goat hair brushes.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You need to look at the size of the knot when looking at loft though. The 40 mm loft is more than a 2 to 1 ratio which is sort of a common starting point for a brush with a little backbone.

If you get to too high of a loft in badger hair, you won't get any of the scrub you are looking for. Unless you go with pure, but then you get more of a scratch than a scrub.

PLANofMAN, Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  17. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Larry at Whipped Dog may be able to help you. http://whippeddog.com/. He can recommend the brush that may fit your needs and he will set the knot in a handle for you. He can drill the handle if necessary give you more backbone. Great service also.

Dave

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I will work on that. . Been hearing alot of good about the goat ! Just goat, no raccoon, possums, I seen something on Etsy.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I will keep a lookout.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I think this is it. I believe it is inexpensive. Life without plastic has them razorminibrush_LRG.jpg