Looking for advice on shave soaps/cream/gels

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jamesrw30, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

2 or 7 looks close. Without mine in hand I can't say for sure.

RyX likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

That's great. Those are both nice Razors. If it is a Gillette Fatboy, you are in great shape. There are tons of people that think those are the best Razors ever made. I'm not exactly a person that makes those types of statements myself, but it is certainly one of the best out there.

3. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

I will get some pictures loaded up tomorrow. Interested to see any information you guys have on it.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Once your pics are up, there are some experts here who can probably help you. Just in case A)no one has said it and B)you haven't thought of it, I will add that it is also a good idea to try different brands of blades, as preferences are so individual. There are companies that sell blade sampler packs.

5. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Guy from a local barber shop gave me a blade for it. Don't remember the brand but I will include it with the pictures.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good to know. I will reiterate my recommendation that you get a blade sampler pack very strongly. The right blade can make all the difference, but there is no blade that is equally good for every user.

MarshalArtist and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pics. Hopefully this works. Trying taptalk and never used it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Slim. I initially tried it on the #5 setting. If too aggressive, back down a notch. If you need more, raise it up. It'll be your choice, but it works great for me with different blades.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! Gillette Slim. Just opposite the #2 on the base (left of the handle) is a letter (looks like an H, maybe?). That's the date year - G is 1961, H is 1962, etc, 2 indicates the second quarter of that year.

My advice:
    1st shave set on 3, complete entire shave, evaluate
    2nd shave set on 4, complete entire shave, evaluate
    3rd shave set on 5, etc
    4th shave set on 6, etc

Keep moving up until you find that setting that is just a tad too rough. Back it down one notch, there's your sweet spot.

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome to the Den. That is indeed a Slim, and from a functional standpoint as fine a razor as you will ever need. Keep reading around, definitely get a blade sampler. I recommend:

tryablade.com - Stellar variety at a reasonable price.

My only other advice is to not go hog wild spending on stuff at first. I too recommend a synthetic, either from Stirling, or Maggard Razors. Italian Barber also has them. All three will get you one of the easiest brushes to use, at a very affordable price. Boars are also an inexpensive option, and excellent brushes, but require a little break in time.

Sample things and don't get instantly sold on any one product, even if it does seem like it couldn't possibly get any better. Most importantly, have fun with this. Shaving really doesn't have to be a chore.

RyX, Demidog and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

It is definitely a H. This all really great information. Have a lot of digging around to do and see where I want to start.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

IDuck, RyX, Sara-s and 3 others like this.
  12. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think you've gotten all the information that you need. I'll second some of the suggestions and advise picking up a synthetic brush such as the RazoRock Plissoft from Italian Barber or one of the standard 24mm Maggard synthetic brushes. Almost everyone seems to have a Plissoft so I feel like it's sort of a staple for beginners and experts alike.

You will get overwhelmed if you jump down the artisan soap rabbit hole too soon. Just keep it simple and pick up a Proaso shaving cream/soap or a Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. If you're adamant about trying artisan products right away, then there are already several excellent suggestions in this thread.

Getting a sample pack of blades as suggested above is definitely in order, but I'd save the sample pack until you get really good with one blade first. Try to get 10 to 20 blades of one good brand and stick with it until you get really proficient. Sometimes just getting a 50 pack or a 100 pack is more cost effective, and you can always try selling or trading the leftover blades later on if you decide that you don't like them.

You lucked out with your razor. Keep a close eye on your wallet and don't get too overzealous if you can't afford it. I think it's a good idea to start out simple then slowly branch out. I know that I wish that I had done that myself.

PickledNorthern and swarden43 like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Proraso and and Plissoft is where I would begin.

RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't recall anyone mentioning Post Care products.
    After you have shaved with your Heirloom razor with which ever blade your are sampling & the latest soap in your stack of samples - you'll consider using a post shave product or two. When all the WTG, XTG, ATG, Gillette Slides, & buffing clean up strokes are completed, the soaps rinsed off, you'll consider using either witch hazel (this available in natural or flavored) or an alum block as an astringent/ antiseptic. These products disinfect any nicks to keep you looking less like you sponsored a cat fight on your face.
    After that an aftershave or balm to give you that newly shaved smell. These two available in unscented, or so many flavors, & options of alcohol, menthol, and moisturizing additives.
    Plenty products for sale in most pharmacies, or online.
    We'll save discussions about The Veg for later. ;)

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I have used Van Der Hagan Soap for many years, it's not only gives me a great lather but it's also economical at just over $5, I microwave it in my bowl for 30 sec. Their Badger Brush is not a bad brush to start out with, the Boar not so much. I would buy the soap and brush separately. as for a bowl, go to Walmart dish section. Another great brush - soap combo is a Vi-Long hoarse hair brush and a kilo of Cella soap. Just cut off a piece of Cella and press into your bowl (never microwave tallow based soap).

Terry Williams likes this.
  16. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Definitely looks like a '62. So looks like I am going to have to talk with my dad because my grandfather was dead by then. I believe he was gone by around '57 or so. This must have been my father's and he forgot about it so going to have to see what I can dig up. Still a cool piece non the less. Now to weed through all this good info and make the difficult decision about a brush and soap.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  17. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

One thing that no one has mentioned and I forgot to mention in my reply is a pre shave oil. I have seen some debates on whether or not they are needed. I have dry skin, so they really work for me. I also think it would help as you're learning to lather. I use Shave Secret, which is reasonably priced and available at WalMart, so it's easy to get. It does have a clove scent, which some people don't like. I actually like the smell and I use unscented soaps, so it doesn't interfere with anything I use.

18. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

RyX and Sara-s like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have the Stirling Kong brush, and use it almost exclusively now. It is a great brush. I suspect the Maggard's and Stirling brush both use the same fibers, so they are probably pretty similar. If you are ordering from Stirling, though, you should consider getting at least a sample or two of the shave soap.

20. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Maggards is having a sale on Friday that goes live at 11 Eastern. You might want to wait until then to place your order. I'm sure you'll be able to find some good things to get you started. I'm pretty sure the synthetic brushes are included in the sale.

RyX likes this.