Looking for another ''vintage'' Double Edge Razor- any tips and advice?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 7, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I've been using a 1960's Schick Krona DE razor for the past few weeks now, and I'm loving it. I'd like to get another vintage double edge razor to add to my DE razor collection. Does anyone know any good make and models? One type I'm looking at getting is a Gillette Adjustable, the silver kind. I also want an old open comb razor with the teeth on the head. Thanks for the help by the way! Have a great day!

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

It sounds like you might like a Gillette "slim" or "Fatboy" adjustable. The Fat boy is more expensive to obtain.
    If you use the following phrase in your search for Ebay you should get plenty of results to view:
    Gillette razor (Fatboy,slim)

As far as the open comb, I will let somebody else answer that. I'm not familiar enough with those.

Good luck

jimjo1031, Herm2502 and Jim99 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Open comb Gillette? Get the Gillette New. You'll love it!

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The New comes either as a long comb or a short comb. Both are excellent shavers Efficient, but not too aggressive. Also, there's a narrow handle (ball handle) and a thicker handle (bar handle). Your pick and they're all great. $25 would get you a fine sample.

mpontiff, jimjo1031 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yep, pretty much what they said. A Gillette new open comb, short or long. Adjustables you have a choice between the Fatboy, Slim or Black Beauty, short or long handles on Black Beauty. I have them all and they all shave great.

RetLEO-07 and Jim99 like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The Schick Krona is a great razor and one of my many favorites.

The Gillette Knack shaves very much like the Krona (IMO) and also has a long handle.

The Slim and the Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) both have longer handles (assuming you like that feature of the Krona) than the FatBoy.

I'm also a big fan of the RedTip (average length handle) which is an aggressive version of the SuperSpeed.

Lots of good vintage razors out there so just start buyin' and tryin'. If you get one you don't like, it's always easy to sell it to someone else.

jimjo1031, Jim99 and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep for a Red Tip. As far as open comb any early Gillette is great and most arre fairly cheap.

HERM

jimjo1031 and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Gillette NEW in either SC or LC. Also, consider the Sheraton, a TTO Open Comb.

RetLEO-07, jimjo1031 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You'll get a hundred different answers. Pick something a little different would be my only suggestion. Prepare to be underwhelmed however, I prefer the Krona to most of the usual Gillette suspects.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

dapper636, Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

IMG_0097.JPG
    NEW Short Comb ca. 1932-1940. Fleamarket find, $5.00.

dapper636, brit, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

59 Fatboy

Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My thoughts exactly! ;)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

For my money, I'll take the Gillette Fatboy, Gillette tech, and Gillette short comb

brit likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

All the above suggestions are great...Thought I would toss one more... @Jayaruh suggested for an open comb the Gillette Sheraton. I second that and add the Gillette Senator. It's the same razor as the Sheraton only nickle plate instead of gold. Mine was the best DE shaver I ever had the pleasure...

Here's the Senator:
    image.jpg

brit and Jim99 like this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Open comb...for sheer classy looks, a single-ring...
    [​IMG]

...and for an adjustable, a Slim is hard to beat.

brit and Jim99 like this.
  17. theguitarshaver559

I'm really interested in getting a Gillette Slim Adjustable razor, an old type open comb, a super adjustable (with black handle), and a Fatboy.

Jorvaljr and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. theguitarshaver559

Is that razor a three piece or a twist to open?

19. RetLEO-07

Start by haunting the fleamarkets and antique stores first. If there's no joy than go to the Bay. Half the fun is in the hunt! Found both my NEW SC ($5) and my SA-109($1) at a fleamarket.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll start of by saying my Fat Boy is one of my favorite razors, but under my nose, it's not great (its head is too thick). I've owned a Sheraton (which is a twin of the Senator), but wasn't thrilled with its shave and I really wanted to like it. Recently I picked up a 1932 Canadian fat handle Tech (oblong slot) and REALLY REALLY liked it; its definitely a keeper. All that said, if you're sporting a mustache, by all means I'd say you can't go wrong with a Fat Boy; if not a lower profile Tech, ball end OC, Single Ring or something along those lines (depending your preference on aggression). This is my recent 1932 Canadian Tech.
    s-l1600-32.jpg

brit and dscaver like this.