Looking for info on "Rolls Razor"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ScottsBar, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ScottsBar

ScottsBar New Member

I've got a line on a local seller via craigslist selling a "Rolls Razor" I don't know much about vintage items as I'm new to this world, would anyone like to give any info on these? The seller says it's from the 1930's are there ways to tell?

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

ScottsBar likes this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Here's another good site
    http://www.shaveworld.org/home/images/RollsPage3.html

I've got two, an Imperial and a Viscount, and to tell the truth I don't care much for the shaves from them. I think I paid about $15 each for them.

ScottsBar likes this.
  4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

ScottsBar likes this.
  5. ScottsBar

ScottsBar New Member

Thanks guys! I could've been taken for a ride buying this as my first collectors piece. Not sure the owner knows what they have. Great info!

6. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I've shopped for these myself and have spotted a nice one at an antique store that I have my eye on currently, but I haven't pulled the trigger on yet. But still, I've learned a few things about them.

One big tip I would have -- make sure it is a complete set, and that it's not broken. If it has an original box, even better. And if it has the cardboard box, all parts, and the instruction sheet, you've got a potential winner. Here are all the parts:

• The case itself, which has a top and bottom lid. The top contains the leather stop. The bottom contains the honing stone.
    • The blade. This is the one thing I have seen missing in several eBay auctions for a Rolls. Make sure it has the blade!
    • The operating handle. This is the part you push the razor with to hone it, and pull the razor with to strop it.
    • The shaving handle. This is the handle/stem that screws up to attach the blade to the spindle and holds the blade in place while shaving. (This is the second thing I have seen missing from several eBay auctions and estate sales.)
    A couple more tips:

1. You should check to be sure the case shuts properly and stays shut. The catches on the two parts of the top and bottom (the strop lid and the hone lid) sometimes are broken or don't stay closed properly.
    2. You should make sure the hone is not cracked or broken. I've seen several of these where the stone is cracked, and that makes it pretty much useless if you intend to use it as a shaver. And far less valuable if you intend to keep it as part of a collection.
    3. Here's a wiki page on it (from another forum) that gives you instructions and tips: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Rolls_Razor
    4. Check the blade for signs of wear. You should still be able to see the inscription on the blade.
    5. Check the spine of the blade. If it has 2 digits on it, next to the word "Razor", it is an original blade. They sold extra blades for it at one time.

Oh yeah, and don't try and carry it on an airplane if you get one. TSA will definitely take it away, since it's basically a straight razor.

fram773 likes this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Excellent advice above!

One thing to add about the shaving handle:
    if it is telescopic: check if the mechanism works and if the blade sits tight in it (I have one blade which isn't tight enough so it might fall out! )
    if it is a solid -screw tight- handle: be sure there is no rust which prohibits screwing and unscrewing of the handle

I'm very fond of my Rolls Razors! What appeals to me about them is that it is a complete system: razor, sharpening device and travel case. I've got three:
    • Imperial no 2

• Imperial no 3

• Deluxe set "E"
    They are great shavers. The solid -screw tight- handle is slightly longer and a bit easier in use. Therefore I tend to use the no 2 more.

Shotwell likes this.