Looking for recommendations for a new SR

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am thinking of buying a new straight razor. Most of my razors are vintage, but I would like to buy a new straight razor, preferably half or quarter hollow grind. Production or custom is fine. Somewhere in the range of $300. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Brian Brown would be my choice .

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Portland Razor Company makes nice razors as well.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

These are both excellent choices but I have to add Koraat. I bought my Brian Brown as an instock item while the PRC took several months to produce. Koraat did two customs for me in a month including overseas shipping time. You can't go wrong with any of these but I give the nod to Koraat and Brian Brown, Koraat has a very cool function on their website called the 'Configurator', it is fun to use and you can customize your razor easily. Even beyond the configurator you can contact them for more custom touches.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a Brian Brown and a PRC, and they are both fantastic razors. I do have to say that the two month wait for the PRC was agonizing.

Koraat is the next one on my wish list. I have lost many an hour paying with the Configurator.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'll throw another name out there...
    Hart Steel

7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Brian Brown and Koraat are great options. Personally I love the look and shave of my Wacker Chevalier but is probably a thinner grind (and smaller razor) than you are looking for. I just think it is a beautiful design.

For new eye candy, I did get this email from Griffith Shaving goods. 15% off $300 or more with this code:
    15off300HOLIDAYS2017. Through end of year.

I got my Wacker through them and they were nice to deal with.

Enjoy the journey! I feel Razor AD kicking in... futile to resist.
    Tom.

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have two Koraat razors, and one Brian Brown. They are awesome Shavers. I would also recommend Osiris Blades, made by Alfonzo Terrones in Colorado. I have two of his razors, and they are awesome. They take a little while though as he is small production. My next couple of modern razors will be PRC and Mike Martinez. Honestly, I don’t think there is a bad one listed in this thread. It depends on what you want. If you want a big meaty razor to start, check out Koraat. If you want a nice sized hollow ground, any of the others will work.

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I recently acquired a Mike Martinez recently and it is beautiful and shaves great. I agree with Adam, allot of wonderful razors recommend in this thread.

:rolleyes: I haven’t heard of Osiris Vlades before, I will have to do some research. :sad027:

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Wacker Classic 2. That should be arriving tomorrow. I’ll be closely following this thread. I’ll have survived 40 years of employment with the same place come August. I’ll have a nice enough stipend to get something really nice. I do love playing with the Korat configuration thingy :). That Art razor @mrchick uses is really eye catching too. Choices, choices........

11. mrchick

The Art Razor is a great shaver!

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hate to put you on the spot, Brian, but.... Korat or Art, purely for the shave. Who is the winner???

13. mrchick

Both are great quality, but I prefer my Art Razor’s smiling blades. They give me fantastic shaves. [​IMG][​IMG]