Loosening Butterfly Razors??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve C, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

In one of the threads I'm actively participating in, (don't ask me which one because I've lost track), someone replied that they had a bad experience with a butterfly razor, because it came loose on them, causing them to have a bad shave.

So I guess the first question I have is, is this a common thing among butterfly razors, that they would get loose like that?

The second question I'd ask is, isn't it true that you get what you pay for, and perhaps that might've been a cheaper razor?

I LIKE the butterfly style razors, and in fact I just ordered one the other day, that was about a $30 razor; nothing really expensive, but certainly better than a five dollar razor, if there is such a demon. Hopefully it won't loosen up on me to the point where it no longer keeps a good grip on the razor blade.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've never had a problem. Tighten it down, just not gorilla-tight, and you should be fine. Unless it is a really cheap razor.

Adjustable do have an extra 1/4 turn to lock 'em up tight.

Ijustmissedthe50s and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Early Gillette razors were sold as "adjustable". Not torquing all the way tight allows more blade gap or exposure giving a more aggressive shave. It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

A feature that I have zero interest in.
    I torque both my OLD & NEW down.
    Ride the cap and get the shave!

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Torque is a very misleading word. Snug is a much better term. The razor should be finger tight. That is the butterfly will open and close freely and then begin to tension as you get to the last little bit. Maybe the last 1/4 turn it will snug down and hit a wall. That where you stop. No need to tighten it hard or bear grip it. Like a fine Micrometer you don't have to man handle these "instruments".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and dustmite like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Depends on where the knob is. On the bottom, and I have to check now and then if it's still tight.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No it's not common. Like others said snug'er up and let'er buck.