Lord 3 piece "Tech Clone" discussion thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dridecker, Feb 14, 2010.

1. I agree that the Lord Tech Clone is an awesome razor. In my experiences, the clone with the metal lather bar, shaves much better than the model with the black plastic lather bar (it's way too aggressive for my face). I'm trying to locate the Lord model with the Merkur HD head, but haven't been able to find any in the U.S. Anyone have good suggestions for this?

Anyway, great to be part of the fourms here!

-Troy

2. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

If you mean the Lord Smart, Shoebox Shave, as given in the link, is a reliable seller. Note that it's Merkur style head, not actually a Merkur.

3. Slivovitz...Not sure, I've seen the Smart model, but have also seen the Lord w/Merkur head which has their aluminum handle. The one with the aluminum handle is the one I'm looking for here in the U.S. I ordered 2 from a web-site, and their display picture shows the Merkur head model with the aluminum handle, but when such arrived in the mail, the lather bar was tech style and PLASTIC... obviously not what I ordered from the pic. The Lord model I want is L1822.

I'll have to order from Shoebox, and simply switch it to the aluminum handle. Thanks!

- Troy

4. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

You want the newer style LP1822 with the Merkur like head. I have one, that came from a Dutch vendor. It's an awesome razor but there are presently no US vendors who stock it.

Here is the link to this razor on Lord's website:

http://www.razorslord.com/Units/SaftyRazorPremium(ModelL6).asp

The confusion is that the same model number (LP1822) was also used for the razor with the Tech like head.

The Lord Smart from Shoebox has the Merkur like head, but on a plastic handle.

While swapping handles would seem simple enough, not all metal Lord handles are the same. I had one where the threads started immediately at the top of the handle, worked perfectly.

I had another Lord aluminum handle where the thread didn't start until about a 1/4" into the handle; the handle wouldn't screw down with a blade inserted into the head.

5. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I have been using the lord tech as a travel razor for a couple of months now and it does a very nice job and good price.
    Thank you for the information on the Lord Smart with the Merkur style head, that clears up a lot of questions I had.
    I think I need to look into that razor and maybe the feather as well and give them a try.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Just for clarification on your thoughts. Is that suppose to be "goo" or "good"?

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Heh! Thanks for the heads up! I meant good. Correction applied...

8. Mechguy

Jeff are you talking about the lord tech or the lord smart?

9. stingraysrock

I am talking about whichever razor it is that Bill started this thread about...

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This isn't the traveling razor thread. :)

11. stingraysrock

Doh! :ashamed001:

12. Mechguy

It's no big deal, it is a similar razor, and I have to say I am intrested in Jeff's opinion.
    I enjoy his review's and DIY projects.
    I read his stuff and I want to go grab a bourbon and work on a brush.
    Well maybe just the bourbon.

13. Kategorical

Kategorical New Member

Any vital stats on the Lord Tech? I'm just curious about handle length and weight.

Thanks!