Lord: Best Current DE Razor Make

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Mar 18, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Anyone else agree?

Lord provides everything, and at a fair price.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'd take a merkur over a lord anyday.

3. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Haven't tried a Lord and most likely will not. They are plastic for the most part and if I am going to use a plastic razor I would just as soon use Gillette Junk Fusion or Bic Sensitives. So no I do not think Lord is the best DE made today.

4. Corey

Corey Member

Haven't heard of them, so I'm not going to make a decision on it. All I know is I'm happy with my collection of Gillettes.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have a Lord Smart razor that is used regularly. It's a little light but overall a very nice razor that gives a great shave.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Won't use any thing on my face with plastic in it. Guess that rules out Lord.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You could still go with a LORD Tech, the only LORD razor I'd consider. I haven't tried one, so I won't comment further on it.
    OTOH, the LORD blades I've tried performed very well. Not quite my favorite blades, but well above average.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Where do you get Lord products? My only source is Razor and brush which is closed at the moment.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

So what exactly does Lord have over Merkur, or even Parker, that makes you think it's the best? What's the criteria here?

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Many men find the Merkur razors very aggressive and harsh to the skin, although they can be effective. The Lord razors are different. In particular, the Super, is a very, very effective razor, with much more forgiving action, yet it gives smooth and comfortable shaves. IMHO, it would be a good razor for a beginner. The Parker I feel is a step higher in aggressiveness, but still a lot gentler than a Merkur.

11. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I see. I read about the aggressiveness of the Parkers. I was thinking of build qualityand other factors. I know Merkur razors are solid, but not that so many found them so rough. I prefer old Gillettes over anything else.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I was using Merkur razors for a while, and I found them very aggressive, although I was getiing good shaves from them.

13. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I think, if I were buying a new production DE, I'd either go Merkur or maybe one of the Feather Portables that Pauldog sells.
    They seem to get pretty good reviews from most people who use them.

14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

As stated, I have a Lord Smart razor that gets used regularly and it gives good shaves. Comments heard from others on a different board indicate that although the Lord razors are lightweight, they work well. I don't believe in condemning before trying

I also have a Parker 91r that gives great shaves, is well built and an overall nice razor. Not sure of the TTO's by Parker but the 3 piece ones are great.

15. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I hear the TTOs have some quality issues, expecially with saftey bars not being even and whatnot.

16. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I've got a Lord three piece and 20 blades heading my way at present.:DUnder 10 bucks and free shipping.;)You can't beat that for value.They are on ebay right now.

17. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

Merkurs for me!

18. boyextraordinare

Lord's just a good, honest brand. Their Tech razors - no plastic whatsoever - are beautiful shavers.

But I do have a bias toward medium-weight razors.

FYI - I'm putting my Merkur LH up on the trade board.

19. ctakim

ctakim Member

Merkur is my only non-Vintage razor!

20. boyextraordinare

Lord offers no TTOs. They have a click-to-open, which is a very fun - but too light - razor.

Anyway, don't knock something before you've tried it. Merkurs are clunky pieces of junk, and once you go above the Progress, you're just in nonsense land.

If you guys like Merkurs, buy my long-handle. It's in impeccable condition, very lightly used, and I'd be happy to unload the damn thing ;)

On the BST forum...