Lord New Platinum Class blade..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I just tried this blade tonight, in a 1953 SuperSpeed. Good shave, much like the Shark and Astra SP. Nothing absolutely spectacular about it. It's a 'shake, don't wipe' blade - no problem there, as usually I just take the razor and rap it against my hand to knock off the water before hanging it back up in the shower.

Two passes, my normal, with VDH pink soap (no clue what they called it). The only thing I noticed is that for sensitive areas, this blade is REALLY sensitive to angle. Most blades I can use at some varying angles if I need to, in order to touch certain areas. This one had to be held almost right against the cap itself, otherwise I could feel some blade bounce.

Aqua Velva Blue Ice, almost no stings, even under the chin and the throat. No nicks (but then, I usually get those only when I'm not paying attention).

So far, I'll give these a "Works well in a mild razor, with care." label. I'll find out if I can get at least three identical (or better) shaves in the next few days. Next one I'll probably use Arko, then m aybe Williams. Need to use one of them up so I can try the Palmolive stick or Wilkinson sword shave soap (green tub)

jtspartan and brit like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I just got three good shaves out of this blade in a Gillette Old Type. I didn't try for a 4th.

3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Is this a newly released blade or is it just the name that has "new" on it? I like Shark SS very much. I think i want to try more Lord blades. Good and cheap.

4. Bookworm

It's just printed with "NEW" on the wrapper.

5. Bookworm

Second shave completed. I'd even forgotten what blade I put in the razor. Same 1953 SuperSpeed. Williams soap this time, soaked for a few minutes, dumped out, lathered up, and shaved. No problems creating good lather, and I worked it in well with paintbrush strokes on the face.

Standard two pass shave, even on and under the chin. No problems. Face feels a bit tight, but that's Williams for you. I deliberately didn't fully soap my face up to clean it before shaving, because I knew the Williams and brush would do a good job. Two minute shave.

Flipped the blade over when I rinsed out the razor.

We'll see what the next shave is like.

6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Most Lord blades work well with my skin and they have pretty good longevity. Would have to say my least favorite is the Platinum ones, but even they are useable and not bad by any means.

7. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Had my first shave with the Lord blade loaded into a Merkur Slant. Strummed through my whiskers like the prongs on a musical box - heard every one getting cut. Three passes for a bbs, very little irritation from the alum. Job's a good 'un.

8. Bookworm

Third shave, and this blade is going to the trash.

Didn't shower this time, but I wet my face down thoroughly, just like I have other times, and lathered up with good Arko. First part of the pass was okay, but I could REALLY feel the feedback. Made my first pass, then my second. By the end of the second, I was feeling it even more, and there was excessive dragging. Once done, five or six teeny weepers, and a couple of lower neck red spots. As I did the first with VDH, the second with Williams, and the third with Arko, I don't see it being a soap problem - Arko is easier than both of the previous ones :)

So, Lord is a 'Two Shaves and Done' blade. I'll remember that next time.

Taipan likes this.
  9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Tomorrow's my third shave and I have a feeling that I might have the same reaction as @Bookworm.