MacGregor Shave Lotion

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, Jan 20, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The bottle I found is from the 1950s at latest, as near as I can tell...gold horse head, 4 fl. oz or so. About 1/2 full from the heft and slosh. If you like the Veg -- and who doesn't? (don't answer that) -- I would say don't pass it up if you see it. But since it's rarer than snake legs and you probably won't see it, let me try to describe it for the curious since I used some post-shave this morning.

Visual: It's a darkish green liquid. For a frame of reference, it's a darker shade than, say, old Hai Karate. It's about the color of dirty antifreeze from a bad radiator. Not a good visual but if you know me, I'll try it anyway.

Feel: oddly soothing. No burn at all (but then the shave was with a Lady Gillette so there was no irritation anyway).

Scent: Pouring it into the hand gave a much better read than yesterday when I just sniffed the top. It's definitely strong on lilac with a faint, nondescript herby background, but almost all lilac. Best of all, whatever is the disagreeable gagging/cat pee note many pick up from the Veg, myself included, it isn't here. Perhaps it aged out after decades, or was never a component of MacGregor's formula? Dunno. But for men who liked lilac, this stuff was probably a go-to aftershave at the time.

Anyway, for an antique man's floral (an antique lotion for men? A lotion for antique men? Both?) it was worth ninety nine cents. Would I wear it out? Probably not...fragrance sensibilities have changed so much in nigh on 70 years that no man can safely wear florals today without raising eyebrows (if he cares). But it's really not bad for what it is. Was.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Fascinating! Aftershave from Macregor does sound familiar but I have no idea why...maybe from my dad. Great description and review, it makes me wish I had some to try. As one of the chosen Ill now use the Veg after my shave today thanks to this review!

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sounds interesting and as rare as it is to find ... must have been enjoyed in the past or used up to clean car parts and toilets. :)

gorgo2 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any Pics????

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Hey @gorgo2 I reread my post and it sounds like I'm putting down your after shave. What I meant was that it is very rare because it was used up. I've seen more vintage OS to be found on ebay than I see of MacGregor. I see Lots of mugs, but very few AS.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I did not take it as a put down ;)

Enrico likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Will post later.

By the way, and I hate to do this, but it's so scummy you have to see it. Search eBay for this term:

After Shave LOTION 5 OZ (147 ml) Vintage Discontinued New Old Stock

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

0121180749_HDR-1328x747.jpg

DaltonGang and Enrico like this.