Maggard MR10 Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tdmsu, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Review: Maggard MR10 Razor

Having begun my journey only three months ago, I am reluctant to write reviews, but maybe my experience could help others new to traditional wet shaving.
    My Maggard MR10 is my third safety razor. After a month using a Merkur 33c, I gave in to the lure of a Slant, likely too soon for my technique. When I learned of Maggard Razors, a brick and mortar shaving supplier not too far from my in my home state, I had to visit. I had previously ordered from them online and experienced their legendary customer service, so I was confident that I would find kindred spirits, and I was not disappointed.
    My shift to the MR10 was a little bumpy at first as I honed my technique and learned the best way to use my new tool. The thing that stood out right away with this razor is it's heft... Much heavier and longer than my Merkur. The added weight gives me extra confidence that I can use gravity and reduce pressure to get a great shave. The handle is deeply patterned, almost like a chrome plated brass snow tire - I knew I would not be dropping this baby. The handle alone is with the extremely reasonable price!
    The head looks great, with no plating issues I can see, and certainly nothing that could effect the shave. This thing shaves like a dream for me, a bit more aggressive than my Merkur, and smooth enough that I have not used my other razor in weeks. The only break in the streak happened when I decided not to pay the $25 fee to check my bag at the airport. Those two days of shaving with disposables made me miss and appreciate my MR10 that much more.
    I've been telling people looking for a starter kit to go for a Maggard - great quality for half or less of more famous brands. You could get six Maggard razors for the price of one Ikon!

Appearance: 9/10 - it's a beauty, see for yourself!
    Quality: 8/10 - excellent
    Value: 10/10 - I cannot think of a better value, sub $20 for an excellent performer!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384468164.853226.jpg

2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have an MR1 and really like it! I haven't used it in a while because I have been comparing blades in my Slim. It gives me great shaves and has a great feel to it. You are dead on about the handles too! The only thing you have to be careful of is to make sure the blade is aligned evenly. It is not hard to do, but it is not automatic either. Brad and Casie's service, as you mentioned, is top drawer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

That was a very nice, informative review Tdmsu...Do you know if the Maggard handles can be bought without a shave head? I like the looks/length of that MR1 handle...:)

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Their website shows the MR3 handle available alone but currently out of stock. You can easily get a message to them from their site and they usually are very prompt to reply.

As I recall from my visit there several weeks ago Brad told me the heads are all the same with the difference between models being the handles. The other thing he told me was in terms of mild/aggressive the Maggard razor would be about a 4.5 on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the most aggressive).

They're very nice and you can't beat the price/service but I find mine (MR4) to be a bit mild for my taste so I'll eventually pair the handle with a different head. YMMV

RaZorBurn123 and Tdmsu like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

At just $16 per razor, you can get the handle you want by just buying that razor.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

I also have an MR1 and really like it. Nice weight well balanced and under $20.00 you can't go wrong.

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The MR3 handles are back in stock.