Mama bear's

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by infectedhole, Nov 29, 2015.

1. infectedhole

infectedhole New Member

I have been wanting to try Mama Bear's soaps for quite some time now are there any suggestions for scents I should try

Robyflexx and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm quite partial to Czar's Choice (lime-cilantro). It's available with or without added menthol. Due disclosure ... I'm the one who came up with it for her. :)

But, you really can't go wrong... the choosing is the hardest part.

Robyflexx and crackstar like this.
  3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Awakenings and Lemon Ice are also very nice!

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I've only tried Black Code type. I really liked the performance, but I can take or leave the scent. You can get samples for only a dollar each. Once I use up some of what I have, I'm thinking of ordering samples of these and then getting a puck or two out of the ones I like most:
    Ye Olde Barbershoppe Shave Soap
    Whiskey Cream Shaving Soap
    Morning Cup, Black Coffee Scented Shave Soap
    Turkish Mocha Glycerin Shave Soap
    Vanilla & Hazelnut Shaving Soap
    Aromatic Pipe Tobacco Glycerin Shave Soap
    She also sells the soap containers. I'll get one or two to give me a convenient place to keep the samples as I go through them.

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have a puck of British Leather and I think it is a great soap. Don't let the fact that its a glycerin soap fool you, it makes a nice lather. Some people are sensitive to some of the fragrance oils used in certain soaps, but the performance and scents are great. I would recommend picking a few scents that sound interesting and give em a try!

6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've only tried a couple so far, but I really enjoyed the Turkish Mocha. If you like classic scents, then I think you have to try the Barbershop and the Green Irish Tweed scents.

Bill_F, Robyflexx and crackstar like this.
  7. How does the lather and performance of Mama Bear's rank against some of the greats(tabac, Haslinger, Proraso, Razorock, cella, Stirling, etc.)? Those are all soaps I either keep in rotation or have heard others rave about consistently(cella). I have wanted to try MB for awhile but wondered if the performance was up to par....not to hijack the thread, I am always interested in scent suggestions as well!

8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It's kinda apples and oranges. All of the soaps you mentioned are tallow and/or lanolin based. Mama Bear's is a pure glycerin base. Not really better or worse in my opinion, just different. For what it's worth, Mama Bear's is the best performing Melt & Pour glycerine soap I've tried. Far and away better than comparable products such as VDH, Col. Conk, Taconic, and the original HTGAM soaps.

whiskeycharlie, Bill_F and richgem like this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

+1
    Mama Bears has been the best performing glycerine based soap for me as well. Just make sure it doesn't dry out on you, and it's good.

Bill_F likes this.
  10. clk

clk Member

I enjoy Dragon's Blood.

Bill_F likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

'Course finding a dragon these days is a whole other matter, let alone getting his blood. ;)

Bill_F likes this.
  12. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I can't speak for Mama Bears soaps, but one thing I cannot get over is that name.

Infected hole

Really flows off the tongue.

13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

If you like sweeter floral scents then Stargazer Lily is good. I also like black code for a more masculine scent. My fiance likes them both too and said she would use them both.

Bill_F likes this.
  14. JR Reyes

So where is the original poster?

We provide all of this feedback and it's as if we are talking to ourselves....

Did you order some soap?

youngunn likes this.
  15. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

He hasn't been online since the minute he made that post.

16. DDuckyMark

Well good suggestions for the rest of us anyway. I had never looked at Mama Bear's Soaps until I got the box tour box and there were two scents in it. I haven't tried them yet but the smell great.

Bill_F and pvtbanks like this.
  17. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've always liked the Spellbound Woods. Autumn Lodge and Barbershop are both good scents as well.

Bill_F and pvtbanks like this.
  18. When you say do not let it dry out, what is your routine with this soap? Also, if it gets dry, is it garbage or does it just need to bloom? I know many soft soaps they say to keep from drying completely but I don't want any mold or whatnot...MB has a ton of good looking scents, and I would love to grab a bunch! Curious what the difference between a tallow soap and glycerine soap chalks up to in performance as well by everybody's observations.....

19. DDuckyMark

In my limited experience tallow soaps tend to be richer and creamier and glycerine soaps are slicker, lighter on the face and slightly easier to lather. I get usable lather loading the brush on glycerine soaps. I have to work the tallow soaps with more water and brush time before they explode into froth.

20. JR Reyes

Good question, and I apologize for being vague with my response. What I was referring to was the lather on your face. If you shave slow, the lather might dry up on your face, and lose some of it's slickness, which would in turn, cause the blade to potentially catch or skip. This can be avoided by simply adding some drops of water to your brush and using a few paint brush strokes over the unshaved area. The slickness of mama bear soaps is a highlight, so as long as you keep your lather hydrated, you will enjoy the experience.

I hope that makes it more sense. I highly recommend buying a variety of samples and trying different scents.

If your a sandalwood fan, It's a sweeter sandalwood, but still very pleasant scent.

whiskeycharlie likes this.