March '16 - 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 28, 2016.

?

Do you chase the baby?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Sometimes

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Almost never

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Baby? I thought you said cookies

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens!

Welcome to the March 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule or Focus discussion threads. Since January 2015, and each month since, a group of TSD members have gathered and posted their experiences with thirty day exercises. Though the discussion can be both quite boisterous and wandering--technique, and the interplay of technique and gear are the topics that drive our discussion, and a love of this hobby bonds us together. From time to time we may even stop and ask ourselves "What's the worst that could happen?", and sometimes I think we have more fun writing about shaving than we do actually shaving! Make sure to stop by the SOTD thread and post a pic and a meet the guys over there if you're new to TSD. They are a very cool crew, and the various posts are a virtual daily gallery of "what's up?" on the forum.

When I was a brand new DE shaver, GD Carrington introduced me to the following concepts, and I started to do thirty day rules. My shaving happiness increased immensely, as I finally learned to use all the gear I had collected on my search for great shaves. The two types of exercises are in action on this thread.

The 30 Day Rule

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for new shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's have another great year sharing our hobby!

image.jpeg

The housekeeping:

We love new members!
    We play nice, always.
    We follow the forum rules.
    We focus on the here and now.
    We welcome all to post here, and all razor types and styles.

Thanks for reading, and may March bring 30 more great shaves!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

This month I'll be hopping about trying some different blades while I'm waiting for the Evahs razor I won in a PIF from @Darkbulb. When it arrives I will give it at least 3weeks with the GSB. I'm also going to make an effort to rotate my brushes daily since I feel like I play favorites now. Any soap goes with a preference for what Im low on since my cabinet is full and I need more space.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think you'll really like it. Hopefully it turns up tomorrow/Tuesday :)

4. DDuckyMark

I couldn't get the tracking number they gave me to work so I'll just do it the old fashioned way and wait until it shows up. I've used both mild and aggressive razors with little difficulty. So far only the triangle hole tech and the Gillette Sterling have given me any problems.

5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm excited for this month. I'm waiting on some new items to arrive and I'm planning on continuing to get the technique down while changing gear every so often. The one thing I want to focus on this month is the difference between hot water and cold water shaves. Thank You to all of you for the encouragement and kind words, and some of you for the gear, it is appreciated more than you know.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My March focus will be interrupted by my annual pilgrimage to the mother land. I need to do some den cleaning so in March and April the razors on the 'bubble' will be given a last chance. Those that have to go will be either sold or PIFed. Once room is cleared I want to try a traditional grind Japanese kamisori and 8/8 size blade

Here are the razors on the bubble:

Non straight razors
    Merkur slant 37C
    Gillette Slim H1
    Fatip Piccolo gold
    Merker Vision
    Various SE razors
    Old Type open comb
    Mongoose head only
    BBS-1

Straight Razors
    Whipped Dog
    Jerry Stark 5/8
    Jacob Ray 5/8
    Genco Easy Aces

The Jerry Stark got a shave today and while it was an excellent shave the razor is smaller than I like..... so likely she will be sold.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thank you Chris for your dedication to the 30DC!
    A couple of things I want to focus on are:
    I need to figure out how to get a good head shave with less passes, I'm spending way too much time and experiencing some irritation.
    I also need to continue to be mindful of sticking with a 3 pass shave, this is very hard especially when I have a great razor and lather working.
    Let the good times roll...;)

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ugh. I feel like I ought to join y'all. Being in my first year of wet shaving has brought me much entertainment. I've slowed my roll on gathering new soft or hardware. But I'm having so much fun fliberdigibbeting through all my gear. I don't have a favorite soap or cream, only some I like more or less. I'd like to try other brushes, beyond my 3 boars & 1 badger. Face lathering VS. bowl is evolving and I'm liking a suribachi. Got my beard reduction technique up to speed so I don't need a styptic. Started using an alum block and I like the stingy feedback for quality control.
    If I had one thing I'd consider focus worthy I'd lay my DE's aside and spend more time with a straight razor. Just when I'm exploring different blades; Feather, Rapira, Voskhod, etc. This would be so much easier to commit to if I wasn't having fun with the kaleidoscope that is my den.

9. Bama Samurai

Hello and welcome! I am doing straights all month again. Let's go for it!

Bill_F, wmbjr, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Thanks Kerry! What's up with the head shaves?

11. Bama Samurai

On the bubble? Tourney time? March Madness?

12. Bama Samurai

Welcome to the crew! Can't wait to see you get going. I am cold water all the time, every step.

Bill_F, wmbjr, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use a generic Atra blade (Made by Schick) I'm doing wayyyy tooooo many passes for my liking, even when I used my injector I had the same issue. I can use a DE for everything but the back of my head, DE really beats the back of my head up. I bet I do 6-8 complete head lathers, passes. I get a good close shave but I also have problem spots I'd like to see go away.

TomJ89de, Bill_F, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  14. DDuckyMark

I tried cold water shaves but I didn't like it. I do a cold water rinse at the end but that's it. I enjoy the warmth too much.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm going to be insuring loyalty the North Korean way. Anyone I suspect of wavering in loyalty will be executed with and anti aircraft gun.... Or disposed of quietly.

Bill_F, wmbjr, Bama Samurai and 5 others like this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Soap - Dusy Kabinett
    Brush - Rotate
    Razor - Blackland Blackbird and Gillette Fatboy
    Aftershave - Old Spice or Avon Spicy
    Blades - Let the trial begin - or continue...

So far, my Blackbird has performed magnificently with Persona and Astra SP blades. Bolzano and Treet - not so much. I have a few ;) different blades in my box, so I will spend time trying out a few different ones over this month. I am participating in a Fatboy pass around over on B&B and that razor is due to arrive today, so I will move the blade to it every other day for a couple of weeks.

IMG_1078 (Copy).JPG

17. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

This month is a Straight Razor focus for me. I started early so I could take advantage of extra time on the weekend for my first couple shaves with one. I can see that it's going to be a rewarding challenge. On the days I am pressed for time and really have to shave I will be using my DE, and trying some different blades. But the goal is all straights if I can.

Marverel, Bill_F, wmbjr and 11 others like this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My March focus will be Injector razors as I have been neglecting them with other 30 day focuses. I always forget how much I like these babies.
    Today I did my first shave with my new Schick E2 and I like it. Much smoother than my G types. It's actually on par with my PAL Injectomatic. Very smooth shave today.
    SOTD
    Another hotel room shave
    Arko
    AoS Pure Badger travel brush
    Schick E-2
    Chick blade (1)
    MS Sport AS
    Have a great week!
    [​IMG]

19. DDuckyMark

I decided that with only the one day left I would start my march hop around early.

WD synthetic
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    '59 Fat Boy
    Treet Silver(1)
    Alum
    Nivia sensitive

Today felt like a fat kinda day so I paired up the Fat and the Fat Boy. I guess I'm a day early since Fat is a Tuesday thing. Anyhow, I loaded up the Treet silver. I have heard good things out of this blade and boy did it not disappoint.

The fat lathered flawlessly with its amazing light smell. The WD is very fast but I end up needing to take more care to get my water right. I nailed it today. First pass XTG and I needed to check to make sure I had put a blade in it. If I wasn't hearing it cut I would swear nothing was happening. A quick feel after the pass and I'm at a DFS or very near. Re lather and ATG, still I'm wondering what's going on because it doesn't feel like there is a blade at all. Facetubation said it was a few hairs short of a BBS. Relather again for a largly unnecessary 3rd pass with some G-slide and buffing. I maybe cut 30 hairs on this pass. Rinse and check, BBS. Now this was almost too good to believe so out came the alum. Not even a whisper of burn. Since Alum drys me out so much I followed it with nivea and boy did I have to work to get enough out of the bottle.

Every time I use MWF I wish I had a full size puck instead of a sample. Its more expensive then I feel comfortable with still but good news lurks around the corner! Tabac is on sale for $9.99 on Amazon so it may be a new addition to my den sooner then later.

Marverel, Bill_F, wmbjr and 10 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My March focus will primarily include SEs. I will mostly use my Mongoose, but I plan to work in the Portland Razor Co. Hydra straight razor as well. It will be my first experience with a straight razor, although I have some experience with a Feather AC kamisori. I'm eager to try my wonderful new Drygulch Leatherworks 2.5" Barber's Strop with Latigo that I received in the 2nd Annual Support TSD Raffle from Adam.

I also plan to break focus here and there to enjoy the Gillette Red Tip that I received as a kind and generous PIF from Doug. If Mr. Chick PIFs me his Toggle, I'll use it too. I refer to this as the When Pigs Fly PIF. :D

I'll stay with two-pass plus touch-up shaves and will vary everything else in my set up for variety. I look forward to riding along with everyone this month. Thanks for having me, and a big thank you to Chris for your dedication to these 30 day rule/focus threads.

I plan to officially start the March focus on Thursday.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Marverel, Bill_F, wmbjr and 9 others like this.