March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

With the exception of just a couple of Feathers and a few cart shaves, I have used the Russian DE blades shown in the photo almost exclusively since November. In my experience, they are all fantastic blades, and the differences between them are minimal. The Polsilvers and the Perma-Sharps feel a bit sharper and the Voskhods feel the smoothest out of the wrapper. There's a significant price difference between them, with the Voskhods and Astra SP's being the cheapest and the Polsilvers being the most expensive.

I learned on Feather blades and have used them exclusively for almost 4 years. There's absolutely nothing to fear about them. They seem a little more aggressive on shave 1, but they are not that much different. They definitely reward good technique, and they smooth out nicely by the second or third shave.

I have a metric ton of DE blades, and it has been fun evaluating the different brands. If I was going for a "do over," I'd stay with Voskhods purchased on eBay. They're easy to get, cheap, super smooth, and plenty sharp.

Just my humble opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If you are interested, PM me your address, and I will set you up with some Feather blades and any of the Russian blades below that you don't have. Have fun trying the different blades, and I'll be following your blade trials with interest. :happy088:

November Focus.jpg

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you for the very kind offer! I haven't really experimented with blades and I think finishing a rule with a different blade will give me a good perspective on its performance.

I have all the blades you have pictured but thank you again for the very kind offer!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

A little alum on the fingertips will get you grippy.....not sure on oil though.

4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

That new brush looks really cool, John. The Latha Sandalwood doesn’t present as a Sandalwood as much as Currants, imho. Not my favourite. Good lather, though.

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I thought it might when I got it, but it really doesn't. In fact, it is kind of amazing, in that you can shave near your ears with almost a recklessness. The first time I felt the end of the razor brush my ear, I got nervous, then I realized it was nothing. The only spot I notice is under my nose. I shave across my mustache, it doesn't matter which razor, always across. I have to pay just a bit more attention to make sure I get the hairs just under my nose. That is all I have noticed. The rest of it feels about like a wide straight edge.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking photo John. The brush is just gorgeous.

sdguero, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Adam! Boring shave reports are good!
    Excellent picture, John!

8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, gentlemen! The Omega knot is also miles better than any previous boar knot I've tried.

Jason, I am just as glad that I am not wildly fond of Latha Sandalwood, because as far as I can tell, B+M has discontinued the entire Latha line. I will continue to use up these samples as soap in inventory, but as actual samples they're now useless.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It’s a great looking shave, but I am really digging that head cover.

10. PickledNorthern

Agreed about the Feathers. Sharp, yes, and a “crisp-ness” (as opposed to the smoothness of Voskhod) to them on the first shave, but fantastic blades that I don’t think are more or less apt to slice you than any other blade. I’m not even recommending them as much as I am telling you not to worry about them.

11. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

-Feather DX
    -Vie Long Mixed Badger/Horse
    -Stirling Limes
    -Stirling Port au Prince

The Vie Long brush is, well, interesting. It is not one I would really recommend to anyone, but I find it neat enough to use. It is not a very dense brush, but it loads very easily, and flow through is great. It feels a lot like a better grade of pure, but has decent backbone, especially for the lack of density. It isn’t scratchy, rather, like Pure, it is soft with those random, out of nowhere, pin pricks. I would actually say, that in terms of face feel, it most closely resembles my Duke 3 in Pure. It has a fairly well defined 3 band line, but I don’t know if that is added, or actually coming from the badger hair. Vie Long offers enough horse brushes in grey, that they would certainly match.

I hope you all have a good week at work.

12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jared. I'm going to do the last few shaves of the month with a Feather.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Anybody know what it would cost to ship a razor? The wife said if I liquidate some stuff, I can get the Krave razor, I've been craving .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PickledNorthern

It it this one? That looks nice, well made out of brass, and adaptable with different base plates. Curious to see how you like it. I really like the look of brass razors.

https://karveshaving.com/

15. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's it. Looks beautiful, have seen a few reviews which speak highly of the razor. Only problem is She's making get rid of some gear to fund the purchase. I agree, I need to get rid of some stuff, but I'm not a salesman.

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I’ve alteady got one commissioned. She offered to trade for leatherwork, and I have already made the stuff she wants so I don’t even need to use my plot. She is making it to my specs.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Even doing a one pass shave with a mild DE, I can’t shave every day. Normally I shave every other day, but with this beast I have even dialed that back.

Got the footers and stem walls pours last week. Finally starting to see progress. Work has been going crazy, and I guess I should consider what it means that I can keep up with this group except when I use time at work.

18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The wise man does keep his powder dry! :happy088:

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and write up Jared. The brush sounds interesting.

20. Norcalnewb

Those are nice looking razors. I would be interested to hear how it shaves.

FaceScraper, sdguero, clint64 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.