March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Fantastic photo, Jim!
    I'm glad you had a great time, Perry! Great photo too!
    That brush and razor make a fantastic pairing, Clint!
    Awesome shot, Jason!

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I price based on what I want to get out of it. Shipping Cost + fees to sell + cost of item = Price. Then I look at that final number and make sure it is reasonable. Be sure your listing mentions shipping included, but limits it to US addresses. Some countries can be very expensive to ship to.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew. The patina on both the brush handle and the razor really seem to compliment each other.

FaceScraper, sdguero, RyX and 4 others like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

SOTD 3/19/18- Focus continues. No picture today. Leopard shavette, Shark Blade, Beaver Woodwright/Blackship Grooming Co. Queen Anne's Revenge soap and splash, 30DC LE brush with Omega Pro boar knot, cold water rinse, alum, witch hazel, and splash post. Going to keep muting the tip on the blades, it really seems to calm them down. Did two passes, and landed a mid-grade DFS. More importantly, very little irritation. Only one weeper, and that was were I removed the top of a razor bump from my last shave. Low pressure, short strokes, and low angle seem to be the keys. I have the shavette almost flat on my face now.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Glad to see things are better with the shavette. How is the renovation going?

sdguero, PickledNorthern, RyX and 5 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Andrew!

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Stemwalls were poured last week. They were supposed to pull the forms and start backfilling today, but its raining pretty hard. I'm guessing it will be next week before they get going again, looking at the forecast. After we removed the old porch that had been enclosed, and tore down the garage with no foundation, our house looks really tiny. I will be very happy to see some framing happen sometime in April. May be June or July before we have something we can move into, but it should be worth it.

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Andrew!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Can you list it as "Free Shipping" but include a handling charge? Folks love to get free stuff even when they pay for it.
    free coffee $1.jpg

10. Linuxguile

SOTD March 19th
    [​IMG]

Merkur 15c
    Polsilver Super Iridium(?)
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Italian Barber Amici

We (also) started a renovation project on our master bathroom last week. Because of this I haven't had any time to pull anything new to shave with out of my den(now a box in the basement) so I've just been shaving with what I transferred over to the Guest bathroom. For some reason I kept my Merkur 15c out (which I haven't used in a very long time), checked the blade and it had a Polsilver in it that looked like it was in decent shape so I went with it. The Satin Tip had no problems whipping up the Amici into a nice slick lather and the Polsilver cut smoothly. Three passes for a DFS, which will probably get close as I get reacquainted with this razor. Hopefully our project will be done by the end of the month and I can move my den into its new home! Have a great day my friends!

FaceScraper, MR41, Keithmax and 13 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Renovations are always rough and take longer than anticipated. At least that has been my experience. Good luck to you.

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Good luck with the renos...are you doing it yourself?

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Gentlemen.

14. Linuxguile

Thanks Jason and not a chance! As I get older I've come to understand that sometimes its just better to pay someone else to get the kinds of results that you're looking for. And the timetables for them getting the work done is much shorter then it would be if I were to try to do the project.

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Monday March 19 - No pic Menthol Monday
    Gillette Fatboy on 5 / 7 O'Clock Russian (2)
    JR #267 boar brush
    The Dry Dock shave bowl
    B&M Latha Sandalwood sample w/ M-Bomb
    Alum and Soapy Bathman Cup of Joe Menthol balm

For Menthol Monday, I added a couple drops of TSD M-Bomb to the soap in my bowl and then lathered it up. The result was a couple mildly cool passes. I then finished the shave with the heavily mentholated Cup of Joe for a lasting chill feeling on my face.

The shave wasn't bad today -- usual two passes to my usual DFS. However, I had one small weeper in my goatee area again, and the alum stung on the right side of my neck. I'm not exactly sure why. I suspect maybe bumping the Gillette up one or two notches for daily use is not a good idea -- I can use it on 5 or 6 occasionally but for regular use should go back to my normal 4. I'll do that tomorrow as I use up the last of this soap sample.

FaceScraper, MR41, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking lineup. Even more impressive considering the renovation project.

I am with you brother. Going up in a construction home, it took me most of my adult life to realize just your point.

17. Linuxguile

Thank you Clint!

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Amen. What all are you doing on your bathroom?
    I know enough on how to build things to know when I am better off paying someone who can do it a lot faster and better than I can.

19. Linuxguile

well we pretty much gutted it and rebuilding it to better suit us. The shower is a large custom walk in (upgraded from a 32"x32" shower) and we are getting a deep soaking clawfoot tub. The generic sinkbase/cabinents/countertop are getting replaced with a freestanding two sink vanity, that while a little smaller has more compartmentalized storage. We are also having a custom narrow cabinet(My new den) built that will sit on top of the vanity between the two sinks and will go to the ceiling with some nice crown molding accents. The old medicine cabinet that my wife hated is getting removed and walled over. We are also getting new lighting fixtures installed and some floor tile that looks like hardwood.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Next shave soap up in my rotation is the Bay Rum(Jeeves soap and TSD A.S.). Jeeves has secured a spot on my 2019 shopping list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.