May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

:happy088:

I heard it was Williams Wednesday soon!

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yesyesyesyesyesyes. Very soon!!
    You heard the man folks tomorrow is Williams Wednesday!!!!

PLAla, clint64, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I didn't realize you were a virgin..

Congratulations!

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've found Barbasol to be light & fluffy. Shoot a dose into a mug or bowl, use your brush to punch it down, maybe add just a little water and it attains a straight razor lather runniness and smooths out.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Technique trumps tools. I'm off to try my new discount razor. Will report back in a bit.
    IMG_6310.jpg

6. Fup

Fup Well-Known Member

Godspeed, Major Tom.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem!!!

May 23

Back in STL shave!!

Razor - Fatip Piccolo
    Blade - perma-sharp-jpg.jpg (1)
    Soap - Stirling Sandalwood
    Brush - WSC Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Talk about a month of mayhem! I'm back from a quick three day out and back to South Central Kansas. My Mother's birthday is May 13th, and this will be her final birthday. As I was unable to get away that weekend, I did a quick road trip to spend a couple of days in Wichita with her. It also gave my sister and I the opportunity to make some final plans. My mother is 87 years old this year, has survived two rounds of breast cancer, lived through a few other health episodes she wasn't supposed to, but we now have her in hospice. It's not an "any day" thing, but we know this is likely her final trip around the sun. Unless she takes after her mother, my grandma, who decided to stick around for 3 more years after the doctors said she was done. These old-time farm women - can't count them out.

Anyway, that's where I've been so my month of May has continued to be unpredictable, unexpected and just plain chaotic. That's ok. Out of chaos comes order!

Got home this evening and hadn't shaved since Saturday. Head shave time, then the Fatip and a Permasharp for a two pass near-BBS the easy way. I've given up catching up here but.....glad to see it's going strong and I'll read what I can. This next week is another fun one as it's Memorial Day which, for may of you, means the lake, bbq, family time, etc. For me....it's the BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR!!! So my hours will be long and hopefully so busy I can't see straight! Here's to a great Wednesday tomorrow!!

ghost town kansas.jpg

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you had a moment to take the wheel of The 30 Ship Neal! We've been on cruise control knocking out the Rules & Foci. Could ask the Official Thread Historian for a recap but no one seems to remember who was appointed, chosen, or volunteered for the duty.

Linuxguile, George X, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You call this cruise control?
    IMG_1671.JPG

Linuxguile, clint64, Fup and 8 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

MAYhem

23 May 2017

IMG_1364.JPG
    Much like @NCoxSTL , it has been busy out here too! Spent the last two days in the Arko project. Tomorrow, Williams, join me and @wchnu if you have a puck and the urge for some Citronella in your life. Bonus points if you use AV, Veg works too. Easy two pass on my fave blade. Alum was cool, and the finish sent a single heroic tear of joy (and quiet pride) streaking down over the DFS. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a tremendous Thursday!
    :)

Linuxguile, PLAla, George X and 12 others like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Two passes with a Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum Black held in a binder clip. Used a nice slick Jeeves of Hudson Street Cranberry Pomegranate lather. Pushed the blade to one side of the binder clip, and grabbed the opposite tab. The curled side is kind of like a super sized lip from an Artist Club AC razor. It makes you use a much higher angle than you want to. The binder clip held the razor blade securely allowing about a quarter inch exposed. This thing was loud. Sounded like Velcro ripping. I am guessing the angle was about 40 degrees. With the popsicle stick razor, more blade was exposed, but the shallow angle I could hold it at made the blade feel more solid. This one chattered, especially on my chin whiskers.

On my first WTG pass, I had a hard time finding the angle that would work. Apparently intuitive shaving angles wasn't one of the designs features of this binder clip. The blade skipped on my cheek, and gave a pretty nice quarter inch slice, leaving some blood and a flap of skin. Whoops. Adjusted the angle, and powered through. Finished the rest of the pass with a few tiny weepers.

Second pass, ATG. What's the worst that could happen? Started at the base of my neck, all the way up my neck. No issues. Did the right cheek, enjoying the nice pink lather. Started the left side, and the blade skipped. Felt it, watched it. Only a weeper, no slice. Went to work on my chin, keeping with short strokes, no pressure, just scraping the lather off, and skin stretching. No more blood.

Called it good at two passes, and did no touch up. Neck and cheeks are BBS, chin is a low grade DFS. Did not expect that. Verdict: binder clip will work, but why would anyone in thier right mind do that?

@wchnu, beer me.

NCoxSTL, RyX, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Ah, the Exxon Valdiz!

"First mate, Second Mate, Third mate, *hic* cook. Who wants to drive the boat. Let's knock a big hole in her, boys, and see if she'll still float."

I think you answered your own question.

RyX, clint64, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome back, Neal. Glad you got to spend some time with your Mom. Everyone here has been well behaved and safe while you have been gone.

NCoxSTL, RyX, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome back Neal. It's got to be tough to watch this happen to your Mom. I will pray for her and your family during this time.
    Best wishes.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I was thinking more like...

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I bet you put olives in a martini too huh .:cool:

Welcome back. Sorry to hear about your Mom. I know all about farm women though.

Was not me. Isn't that what we hired @Bookworm for?

I gotcha beer buddy. Nice and cold. Hell I'm buying the fried pickles too.

17. Bama Samurai

RyX, Linuxguile, SharptoothC and 7 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Boudin?

RyX, SharptoothC, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Shouldn't he be in a Mustang fast back and sitting on the other side ofthe car?

RyX, SharptoothC, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thursday is a road trip to Lafayette day. Boudin is on the menu.

RyX, SharptoothC, clint64 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.