May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I will be watching the Mayhem and hopefully very few blood spills.

I am thinking a Mystic Water Shave Soap May and a focus on SE razors. I have two great citrus scents of Mystic Water. In addition I will be using SE razors for the month. I want to give the General a try with the Feather Super. For the weekends I will be using Gem razor. I scored what I hope is a good example of a Gem Damaskeene Open Comb that I am looking forward to trying.

2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

OK, i hadn't understood what's all this "Mayhem" thing, but i watched the video and read the op for a change. :p First, i 'd like to say this: @Drygulch, you are out of your mind. :rofl: Second, no mention about how *someone* was paramount in improving the photo quality in this forum. Third, there is nothing more extreme for me to do, since i 've already shaved various times with Derby in the Weishi. There is no worse combination that i can use. :happy097: The SuperMax Super Stainless feels like a blade forged by a master katana blacksmith in comparison. :happy102: So, i will start the razor rotation. It's about time that i learn to shave with the DE89 and see how blades behave in that. :signs002:

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Is she used to you being drunk in the morning?

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thank you. You are not the first, and I have a feeling you will not be the last to say this. Not just referring to shaving here, either.

5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Errmmm, i have a bad feeling about what happens in this forum during Mayhem... :scared003:

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Dude, that shave was phenominal. For mixing a combination of creativity and questionable judgement, you are hereby granted permament hero status in my personal record book.

That and $1.69 can get you a 24 oz coffee at any Holiday Station Store.

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I am awaiting my Sayuri in the mail. I'm hoping Customs hasn't seized it as a weapon of mass destruction... Apart from the days using that 'Little Lily', I'm going to use injectors for the first time. Got an I1 and a PAL Injectomatic at a 2nd hand store at Christmas but have not broken them out yet. Chick blades and my usual rotation of soaps and aftershaves/balms.
    FWIW, if I asked my wife to tape a razor blade to my finger, her answer would be a combination of the following responses-
    1. "I'll wrap it and you can use the psychiatric ward intake form I signed to wipe up the blood"
    2. "I'm taking the kids to my parents, I'll be back after they graduate"
    3. "Was I drunk when you proposed?"

8. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

While not as stu...rather craz...ummm brave as some folks here I'm focusing May on my PRC Chimera. My goal is to get to where I'm doing ATG passes. And who knows, maybe the popsicle stick will make another appearance. Let the bloodshed begin.

9. PickledNorthern

Back when I was laboring on the pipeline, we used to joke that anyone who even halfway tried ought to be able to get in three good drunks and two great naps during any rain-out day while working on the road.

10. PickledNorthern

Yesterday.....

[​IMG]

-Joseph Rodgers Near Wedge
    -Semogue 1800
    -Stirling Port au Prince Soap and Splash
    -TSD M-Bomb

Possibly the coolest thing about using a straight is that the blade doesn't really care if you have one day's growth or a full beard, it's all the same to it. I took off four days yesterday, which for me is essentially a full beard, if not an ugly one, and it was the same shave as any other. I had a little time to enjoy myself, took a little extra cleanup time, and this shave ended up in that epic category. Man, do I ever wish I had started doing this twenty years ago.

The Semogue gets one more chance to give me a shave without dropping hairs in my soap, and then it is going in the trash can. It is one thing to baby sit an uber dense badger that has 20,000 hairs in it through that first month of shaves while the loose ones work their way out, but I have very little patience for 12 dollar boar brushes that don't normally lose hairs to begin with.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in for May, but certainly not with Mayhem. I want to keep my face free of unnecessary cuts and general slaughter! I'll enjoy the wild posts and unwise shaves from afar!

I am undecided as to what I'll do exactly, but I may join @clint64 in using SE razors for the month, meaning GEM Pushbutton and Featherweight, GEM 1912, and RazoRock Black Hawk. But I'll probably miss my injectors and will throw those in every now and then. I will probably continue to pick soaps on a whim and use what I feel like each day.

Good luck to everyone and hope the band-aids are nearby.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be back this month. I am going to finally work through the Russian blade pack I ordered a while back. A little extra Focus will be given to the Rubies, as they come so highly recommended by @NCoxSTL. I will add in a few shavette shaves, in particular with the Japanese example provided by @mrchick. These shaves will offer a decent chance of blood flow for the viewing pleasure of the Cartel.

13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@Bama Samurai when he gets on here- what is the best, affordable($25 ish shavette) in your opinion?

Everyone else please weight in, I just know he likes them a lot. I thought I might get one and use it for Mayham.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm pretty sure he'll say the Magic. Let's see if I'm right.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Bandaids? We don't need no stinking bandaids! Sutures, probably. And styptic. Lots of styptic.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Cartel appreciates your willingness to entertain us. Enjoy those Rubies. I know I don't. :(

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@NCoxSTL -You know I'm actually having a hard time finding one. Qualifier- I see an online retailer sells them for $10 , but is out of stock. And I found one on E-bay but it was $25 for 2. (I don't need 2):)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am going to stay the course with the shavette. I think in another month, I should start the get the hang of it and pull some good shaves from it.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Chris sent me one so I haven't actually tried to order one. He can probably tell you where he gets them from once he wakes up today. He likes the Parker that he used this month as well. That may be another option.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Consider your blade of choice. If you would like the shortest length and easy purchasing, there are many that take DE and 1/2 DE blades. A few units will accommodate several types of blades. All longer than a DE and tending toward thicker steel means more area shaved per stroke and possible longer blade service.
    The weight of the shavette affects handling just like a DE or SE razor. I don't have numbers right at hand but assume The Magic being plastic for the most part will be lighter than The Parker, an all metal unit.

Sally's Beauty Supply had Magic shavettes on the shelf in my area. last I looked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.