May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint! Stubble Trubble is great. It is slick, lots of cushion, and the post shave feel is terrific. I wasn't sure about a coffee scented shave soap, but I have to admit, I really like it. I have two soaps from him, and both are right up in terms of scent. The performance is right there with Stirling or Route 66 IMO.

I also got a chance to meet the soap maker, Adam, and he is a nice guy who is just passionate about shaving soap. I like supporting guys like that.

2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

IMG_1549.JPG Last couple of morning shaves were not notable. Slim on 4, 3 blade changes, 3 soap changes, no discernable differences. Today, instead I decided to mix it up a bit and try the birth year Tech Travel Razor that I didn't love when I used it early in my DE experience while traveling. Still didn't love the balance of the thing, but got a really great shave. I also used the vie-long horsehair in Dad's first handle and decided that the loft needs to be reduced in order to compress the knot a bit. He has an amboyna handle waiting for me, so I'll have him drill it out at the same time. Also realized that my less than perfect neck shaves can be dramatically improved with some clean up to compensate for sporodic patterns in facial growth in a couple of areas. I'm not into skin stretching or beard mapping for DE shaving yet, but if I want to chase the baby in the future, I may end up going there. Too much to do right now, though. Also tried Mama Bear's Earl Gray Tea. Good performance but I just don't get excited about the smell of tea, so off to the the Shavy prize bin it goes - for now. (Also, after Adams recent post, I realized it should [probably be spelled Shavey. Maybe it will be in the future, but we've come too far at this point to go back and correct everything.)

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love my Vie-long horse brushes. I have 3. They do not look near as good as yours though.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I reported my bathroom light problem to my landlord. Tomorrow will be Day 3 of "Hallway Shaving....A Love Story". Hope he can come soon.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

MAYhem
    11 May 2017

IMG_1355.JPG
    Caught a thread by my fave first tenor, @Primotenore , and decided to break out the Brut. And a good choice it was! Day 33 of this Arko stick and the usual two pass goodness was had by all involved. Absolutely silent alum, near BBS, probably my most technically perfect shave (without touch up) in a long while. Earlier shave today, heading out in the sun for a few chores. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a fantastic Friday!
    :)

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like I need to come have a talk with him and explain the importance of the bathroom light for shaving. I mean he does know this is interfering with the shaves right?

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks Jim. I noticed Adam made a special soap, "Lavender Lemonade" for Above the Tie. I might give it a try after I use up some more of my inventory.

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May 11

Today started out as a no-shave day for me. As the day went on, however, I decided to try a Dorco blade for the first time this evening. I purchased a sack of discounted Dorco disposable and replaceable cartridge razors last year. I shared a bunch of them, and I still had gobs of them left when I checked today. I attribute my seemingly growing Dorco razor inventory to cell division. If left unchecked, I'm sure they'll eventually displace me from my house.

So tonight I tried a Dorco three-blade disposable with a pivoting head. The best thing about the razor was the curved, grippy handle. I whipped up some KMF Pomegranate Grapefruit cream with JR #160 and went for my standard two passes. The razor was a bit more tuggy than my Trac II, but I ended up with a pretty good overall shave. I have a small area on my neck that didn't fall in love with Dorco steel -- at least not love at first bite. I finished up with good 'ole Kentucky water and some Trumper Coral Skin Food.

I started to tape the razor handle to my index finger or shave in the dark, but I didn't succumb to peer pressure this time. :scared011: :rofl:

Have a great evening!

1.gif

9. BaylorGator

This was a cheap Cremo brush that my wife got me Target when I started. I didn't really like it much at all. Too small and compact. I put the handle under pressure in a vise, smashed the handle with the back end of a claw hammer, and reset it temporarily with silicone in a spalted maple handle my dad turned for me as a experiment. (He'd made pens, but never a handle.) His first attempt, so he bored the hole for the knot too shallow, causing the knot to fan out and get a tad too splayed out and floppy. Drilling it out to standard size should make it an awesome brush. He's still enjoying making handles. I'm still enjoying smashing the old ones, dialing them in and setting them. Works out well.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Brings the thought to mind about boys and their toys.

11. wristwatchb

Randy, I'm surprised your Dad hasn't made you a cone-shaped brush handle. It would look cool with a bulb-shaped knot and maybe even tasty with the right shaving cream.

1.jpg

12. BaylorGator

I shave to get my mind off of work, Charlie. It would be too much like work. I can't watch that "How It's Made" show either. I used to watch it and say things like "The shaft on that Groen kettle is not turning smoothly. Somebody needs to replace some bearings." My wife would just look at me funny.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Actually, it is a collapsible pet bowl and came with it on there. I am not nearly that well prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. BaylorGator

I woulda stuck with the shaving on the 1,000 foot cliff story myself...

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup.. sometimes you gotta roll with the hype!

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Since all I ever use is a phone or tablet, Tapatalk has turned into my main platform. It is (for me) a ton easier to upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

May 11, 2017- Dorco Prime

Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (4)
    Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 (2)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

Day 2 with Dorco's flagship DE blade, the ST-301 Prime Platinum. As I suspected, this blade benefits from a bit more aggressive razor. Two passes to a very nice DFS.

Sorry, it's been a long day at work, so no great commentary. :)

18. wristwatchb

Understood...sorta like Fred the Baker.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I didn't put it exactly that way, but I kinda "worked my way around" the same subject. I've lived here for 10 years, and this is the first time the socket has acted up. .

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I bet she still looks at you funny........ just throwing that out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.