Menthol Mondays!! WooHoo!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Dridecker, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Menthol Monday, October 26, 2015

Mongoose with Triad Ti Helix Hex
    Feather Pro 5
    El Druida Red D-7 Manchurian
    Krampert’s Frostbite Soap :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Alum, Witch Hazel +++Menthol :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Gold Bond Green Lotion :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Krampert’s Frostbite Aftershave :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Today’s shave a 2 pass near BBS was very cold. Face lathered the Frostbite with the Red Druida brush. Druida’s knots have quality equal to those made by Lee Sabini (Paladin & M.F.) and Aldo Sui (The Varlet). Krampert’s lathered cold and creamy in seconds. Mongoose gave me plenty of audio feedback, and some slight tugging so this blade will make an early exit. My icy Witch Hazel was overdosed with Menthol Crystals. Some “Menthol Maniac” went nuts with TSD Menthol Crystals. TWBM. I had to take a ‘Menthol Break’ between the Mentholated Witch Hazel and the Gold Bond Menthol Moisturizer. Ended another Frosty Shave with a couple of generous handfuls of Frostbite Aftershave.

MOn1.jpg

crackstar likes this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Menthol Monday:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/new Astra
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Barrister & Mann Arctique AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Drakkar Noir EdT

Here comes Le Grand Freeze - look out! ;) :D

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Added two drops of peppermint oil and two drops of eucalyptus oil in with the C.O. Bigelow. Wow !! It sure woke me up this morning.
    uploadfromtaptalk1447723485511.jpg

Robyflexx and crackstar like this.
  4. crackstar

Menthol Monday: (Canadian style!)

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Super Speed/new Astra
    First Canadian Polar Vortex SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Diana Sport Menthol Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Henri et Victoria Bergamot Vetiver AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Acqua di Selva Cologne

This set-up is chock full of freezing menthol, my friends. It feels like the real Great White North! ;) :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 for acqua di selva Cologne, wore some to the gym this morning....one of my favs!

crackstar likes this.
  6. crackstar

Menthol Monday:

Super Speed/new Astra
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Diana Sport Menthol Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Barrister & Mann Arctique AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aramis EdT

I think I'll need a week or two in Acapulco for my face to thaw out after this shave - there's enough menthol going in to this shave and after to post a frostbite warning! ;) :D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Crackstar, what is the Diana balsam for?

crackstar likes this.
  8. crackstar

It's really for sore muscles but it also makes a fantastic hyper-mentholated aftershave balm. It's totally unscented.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Is there anything similar I can pick up locally? Like some of the other mentholated soreness creams and why not just add it to a shave soap or cream to achieve a mentholated result, could this work?

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Depending on the ingredients in the mentholated non-shaving creams, you could potentially wind up impacting the quality of the lather you get from your shave soap or cream or even causing worse issues. The latter seems unlikely, but chemical interactions can do funny things. This isn't meant to discourage the attempt, only to add a note of caution.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robyflexx

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm better served buying mentholated soaps, better safe than sorry as you mentioned something might or might not go wrong why chance it. Thx!:)

crackstar likes this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Menthol Monday, December 14, 2015

Alumigoose (not pictured) w TRIAD Rolling Hex Ti
    Feather Pro #2
    Doug Korn Taca 2 TGN HMW
    @Douglas Carey Route 66 SS Frozen Margaritas
    Alum, Sterling MITA Witch Hazel, Gold Bond Green Lotion
    Chiseled Face Cryogen Aftershave

The Alumigoose continues to impress. Two passes plus clean up closeness A irritation A. Light as a feather, but still a Mongoose. Lather was a Christmas present from @Douglas Carey. Thanks Doug! Scratch one from the top of my list. @Salty Belle Route 66 Soap Frozen Margaritas is an outstanding performer, a medium face freezer with a great scent, some where between the Glacials and Krampert’s Frostbite on the ‘Menthol Monday Scale’. The lather was colder for the second pass. Note: TGN HMW has less backbone than TGN Finest at comparable lofts. My face was so cold I could barely feel the alum, the MITA Witch Hazel added more freeze, and the Gold Bond Green was a soothing chill down. Finished with a big splash of Cryogen.

IMG_3154.jpg

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

c.o.bigelow and Proraso green a/s
    menthol Monday, man they fly by

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  14. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

I had me a TSD menthol Monday today thanks to some PIF samples that came in the mail today. I'm not gonna say too much about the shave itself because things were a little wacky today and I'm not exactly sure what caused it. But I will say that TSD SubZero and M-Bomb balm leave you cold enough that they could be used for local anesthesia I'm pretty sure. I'm beginning to think I may not know what menthol is supposed to smell like. This is the second week in a row I've been kind of surprised. I think I thought of menthol as more of a minty thing but I'm thinking it's maybe eucalyptus that comes through for me more. A scent that pairs very well with Noxema or even Vicks Vapo Rub or Deep Heat. All smells from my childhood that I liked but not what I thought menthol would smell like. Anyway, these TSD products have a similar "note" going on to my nose anyway.

Thanks to TSD for the generous PIF. I'm going to have more to say about the products after I try another scent tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  15. Robyflexx

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  16. crackstar

Menthol Monday:

Super Speed/new Derby
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial Obsidian AS Balm :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Fine Snake Bite AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Fahrenheit EdT

It takes a really Krazy Cracky Wacky Ticky Tacky Menthol Monkey like myself to choose a set-up like this. Everything from the Neutrogena facial wash to the Snake Bite aftershave is bone-chillingly COLD and I mean COLD! ;) :D

Boojum1, SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

MENTHOL MONDAY
    sotd101.jpg

PREP: MUSGO REAL CLASSIC
    RAZOR: GILLETTE TECH
    BLADE: GILLETTE SILVER BLUE (7TH SHAVE)
    BRUSH: RAZOROCK PLISSOFT
    SOAP: PRE DE PROVINCE (*BOMBED*):Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    POST: ALUM/ REEF POINT SUBMARINER:Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Great 3 pass shave today. The menthol glycerin added a nice cooling effect to the lather. 3 drops added to the PDP made in cold, but not freezing. I have accidently added too much before and it messed with the consistency of the lather, so I was careful not to add too much this time. Finished the shave with Submariner. Hope everyone had a great shave, stay frosty my friends!

Boojum1, crackstar and Robyflexx like this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Real or contrived? Authentic, original or compliant? Today’s Menthol Monday challenges me to describe this shave every step of the way.

I got some Crystal blades in trade and now having experienced them, they are a total enigma. I wanted them to be great because I want to support Israel by using blades made there. But I’m not sure what blade this was I used. Tryablade calls them platinum chrome. Packaging calls them super stainless and +platinum. Actual shaving has them somewhere in the neighborhood of the Derby Extra — that is to say, super smooth, but lacking in sharpness. Resulting shave of 4+ passes probably isn’t quite at a DFS level of smoothness though the shave itself was extremely pleasant, nick and irritation free.

Proviso Green is delightful — everything reputed and more. A very subtle menthol sensation with even more subtle menthol smell. But building with each pass which made it fun. The lather was very good and easy but a little on the light viscosity side for what I prefer.

The Rubberset 200N Ubersoft II reknot is the perfect blend of backbone and softness though a 22mm now feels too small to me. Also I’ve got to finally admit I find the handle impractical to hold. It’s at once small and slippery.

I bumped up the Fatboy from #5 to #7 for this shave. Coupled with the mild blade, I can’t really say I felt an increase in aggressiveness. Weight and balance remains “home” for me as the feel I’ve lived with the longest.

Though I now know that Thayer’s responds to irritation. There was no irritation this shave so Thayer’s Cucumber witch hazel seemed superfluous.

The Shaving Den M-Bomb was way heavy handed for this shave coming in with it’s medicated smell and chilling effect. It works for an over-the-top experience when paired with TSD’s SubZero but won’t get used with Proraso Green again. Post shave feel is very nice though. The gel quality dissipates into a hydrated feel so that’s a good thing.

All in all, I pleasant enough shave but nothing great when you sum up all the parts. Good enough, but nothing that will bring smiles for the remainder of the day.

crackstar, Boojum1 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I haven't seen you reporting using Rubber Dubby Doo in quite a while. Is it me?

crackstar likes this.
  20. crackstar

Menthol Monday:

Super Speed/new Derby
    Stirling Frozen Tundra SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Gold Bond Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Fine Snake Bite AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Drakkar Noir EdT

Although it's expected to be a much colder day here in Montreal I'll still keep up my reputation of being a menthol freak, and these are great tools to do it with! ;) :D

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.