Mentholate Some VDH??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, Jul 10, 2009.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Summers in SE Louisiana are brutally hot and I need some cooling off. Right now I'm using alot of Ingrams SC 'cuz it's so cooling in the morning.

However, I really like VDH Deluxe SS. And I really like the cooling of menthol.

How do I combine the two? Where could I find menthol? How do you use it?

Thanks in advance folks and enjoy your shaves

2. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Add a almond sized amout of the SC to the SS & then go to lathering as usual.

Menthol is great at this time of year eh. Are you an Aqua Velva man?

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

Simple if you lather in a bowel, and have, or can get some Osage Rub. Prior to lathering, I put ~ 1-2 tsp Osage Rub in my bowel, then pretty much lather like I normally would. I always start my lather with my brush shaken out pretty good and add water anyway, so the O.R. does not through off my mix. I've done this with most soaps and creams that I have when I want a good ice kick. I've even added O.R. to Porasso and Godrej Menthol :D

I will not add it however to my TSD Iced Mojito,,,,,, that stuff is too good to mess with :D

4. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

"I put ~ 1-2 tsp Osage Rub in my bowel"?? wow that must wake you up in the mornin!!!:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1 on superlathering with a mentholated s.c.

follow that up with an aftershave with moderate to heavy menthol and you have a winning combo. TSD iced sensitive s.c. + skin bracer aftershave = cooling goodness that gets me though to about noon.

6. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

7. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

boy id better learn to quote!

8. Moe

Moe Active Member

If I could spell, you might not need to quote :D

9. Moe

Moe Active Member

That should have been 1-2 tsp of Metamucil...............................:o

10. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

lol, maybe you're on to something "mentholated metamucil" cleans you out and cools you down,:rolleyes: good for the post chili cook off.

11. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I have added menthol to the VDH and it came out fine. I bought the menthol crystals off of Ebay- they're very inexpensive- and it's easy to do. You can either melt a tsp of crystals over heat ( in a spoon over the burner on a stove) or add the crystals to a melted puck of soap and they'll melt in the hot soap. A little goes a long way. I ruined a soap once by adding too much menthol and it changed the whole structure of the soap and wouldn't lather anymore. Melted menthol also works great adding that extra zing to your favorite cologne or aftershave and I make my own after shave now from Witch Hazel, menthol and aloe lotion. Good stuff.

13. Moe

Moe Active Member

Soooooooooo that's what their melting in spoons on all those cop shows i've seen. :happy102

14. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Eric was rumored to have run an undercover sting where he was "The heroin junkie of the town". He would strap a belt around his arm and hold it tight with his mouth and then fill a tablespoon up with menthol crystals and melt them down....then look at the "perp" outside the cheap hotel room and then kick the door closed so she/he couldnt see him actually blend the menthol crystals into his AS and SS.

The rumor of him being on an epidsode of cops in 2006 as an undercover transvestite hooker propositioning truck drivers at a very seedy truck stop is false however. I will admit if you do look close, you will see me buying beer and walking through the parking lot. It was a Sunday and on my way to the Talledega race. We cant buy beer in GA on Sundays so I had to stop at the seedy truck stop:) Good times!

15. koso

koso New Member

I have often melted VDH Deluxe and added essential oils to give it some scent.

10 sec. at a time in the microwave to melt the soap.

Add EO sparingly. It takes a time or two to find the mix you like.

A little eucalyptus, you have a Proraso-like soap.

Lavender/Rosemary/Peppermint, a Nancy Boy scent.

I dug out an old mix yesterday that I thought at the time had too much peppermint and smelled like chewing gum. It turned out to be just right for last night's shave after a hot day.

16. Moe

Moe Active Member

Yeah, I think I saw that one, but I thought you were the one getting scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, and diced at the Waffle House accross the street? mmmmm, maybe not.:D

17. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

They do have my favorite hash browns! Great to help absorb booze;) And Kid Rock loves them to:D

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yeah! I hear you there, no alcohol purchases in Indiana on Sunday, or a handful of other days through the year (election day, etc...)

On topic... I used to mix things with VDH; however, when I realized that SLS was causing some of my skin issues and SLS is in VDH....

19. omegapd

omegapd New Member

No need to lie about how we met, Sweetie. :rolleyes:

20. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

That was a good time....especially being in Alabama and all. I do think I was a bit tipsy though and maybe started before I got to the truckstop b/c I my buddies said that I was staring at
    [​IMG]

but swear she looked like......

[​IMG]

Total beer goggles.