Merkur 23 c or this

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Nov 10, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I would spend my money on a Gillette Slim or a long handle Gillette Black Beauty. Both adjustable, both winners. But that's just me.

mikewood and LookingGlass like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

what the heck...buy them all!

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

That 2nd one looks interesting and would probably do fine.
    I have a 23c and the similar RazoRock Mission razor. I kind of like the slightly heavier Mission razor better and at 19.99 on Italian Barber it's hard to beat.
    If you want to "invest" in a long handled classic razor then I would definitely agree with a Slim or Black Beauty. They are top quality razors that you can enjoy for many years and pass down or likely sell for a profit decades from now.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've got a 23c and like it a lot. It's my favorite razor.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

A slim would be a really good choice. It will shave mind to aggressive and you can fine them between $15-25.

7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have a Merkur head on an Apollo Handle. The added weight works well for me and it has a nice length.

8. Mr. Shaverman

The head on the linked one sort of reminds me of a Utopia. The big handle reminds me a of a Utopia type handle too.

9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That does look like a Utopia head.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I personally really like the handle knurling on the "Classic Super knurl"..:)

11. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The head on the linked one sort of reminds me of a Utopia. The big handle reminds me a of a Utopia type handle too.[/quote]

The head looks like a Muhle/Parker clone. It does remind me of a Utopia, but it is the same style used on the Sabi and Cadet Razors. If it is a Utopia then the plating is too thin for long term viability. but there seems to be an issue of blade alignment as is common on the razor as per this review:

For that reason alone I would choose the Merkur.

It is worth looking at the Cadet, Sabi, and Fatip if cost is an issue.

Sabi: http://shaveabuck.com/sabi-safety-razors-c-80.html?alpha_filter_id=0&filter_id=9&sort=20a

Cadet: http://shaveabuck.com/cadet-safety-razors-c-32.html

Fatip: http://www.italianbarber.com/safety-razors?sort&filter_id=202

Matador is good too:

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/double-edge-safety-razors/matador-razors

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  12. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

No question to me. I by far like the Black Beauty. Got to be my favorite razors. I like the 23C alright I tried but I just got better shaves from the BB.

13. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

guys....your definitely making this more confusing decision for me and want to make it more interesting.

I also saw that the Razo Rock SLAB (shave like a boss) is back in stock and new model called "RAKE" in stock. The RAKE is open comb!

Thoughts

RAKE vs. SLAB vs. 23c vs. Super Knurl

ughh yet to try feather razors....too

14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Ah yes, we do tend to make things hard on ourselves and others when considering new equipment. So all I can say in response is "follow your gut instinct" when making the choice.

15. Mr. Shaverman

Stick with the 23c for now and see where that takes you. Then get RAD.

16. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

:signs011:

i like my 23c

17. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I went with the 23c also.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    buy the merkur 23c znice_razor.png

19. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

The 23C was my second razor after the MTO. Then in rapid succession I bought a Muhle89/iKon combo from Bullgoose and three vintage Gillettes from the bay. For the modern razors, in retrospect after playing Dr. Frankenstein, I now have developed a preference for the Merkur head with the iKon Bulldog handle. The long 23C handle is too light and skinny, and my face doesn't seem to like the 89 head design. I just don't reach for either one (handle or head). My best shaves come the Merkur/iKon and the vintage Gillettes.

Just one guy's opinion...

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

23C was my first. I love it. I recommend trying it out. Beautifully constructed

Luziana_Geezer likes this.