Merkur 23C Long Handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Blah, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Blah

Blah New Member

Somewhat new to DE's. I purchased a Merkur 23C. I was wondering if this is a good razor?
    I know it's not adjustable. I purchased a blade sampler which I have yet to receive.

How important is having an adjustable razor? Do I need a better razor to get a better shave or is blade selection more important?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've never used one but many people like them. A good blade is what counts and there are many of them. An adjustable is good to have, but not needed if you get good shaves with that one. Also, welcome to the Den.

Terry Williams and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That merkur razor is a good razor. It's a mild razor. Trying different blades is a good way to assist you in finding one that works well for you. You don't need an adjustable razor. They are neat to have, because you can adjust it to being very mild to very aggressive.

An expensive (better) razor does not give you a better shave. It depends how you use them. My best shaves come from a $10-$15 Gillette fat handle tech.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also get great shaves with the fat handle tech.

Terry Williams likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It was one of the first DE razors I used. I liked it, but fast went to Vintage Gillette razors. The Merkur is a good razor, somewhat mild. A good one to learn with.

6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

The Merkur 23C was one of my early purchases as well. At the time I liked it's light weight but after a couple years I started liking heavier razors. I later added a Razorock Mission to my rotation and found I preferred it much more than the 23C. It's basically the same head but with more heft and a shorter handle. I still use the 23C from time to time though. It's a good quality razor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While an adjustable (I own all the Gillette's) is nice and fun especially when your first starting out, it's certainly not a necessity for a good shave. Also you will pay a premium for the slight advantage it gives you in shaving because of the adjustability and that advantage will go away as your technique improves.
    IMO trying as many different blades as possible will prove to be of more value to you.

As to the quality of your safety razor, most modern razors (Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Feather, iKon, ATT, Pils etc.) are fairly well made and the differences between then lay in material and QC. Most DE safety razors break down into a few "shave head" material choices which mostly add longevity to the razor rather than better shave quality:
    vintage= mostly brass, last forever and IMO are better made,
    modern=stainless steel lasts as long as brass, next cheaper zamac (potmetal) which can produce as good a shave but is a bit more more delicate and prone to not lasting as long.

The more expensive razors aren't necessarily better shavers, there shave heads are usually made of better material and have better(sometimes only slightly) production standards and QC. Your best "shaves" will come from the relationship between your face, safety razor, blade choice and your technique. If your Merkur fits your face, blade choice and technique etc. then your Merkur 23C is as good as any razor out there. One of my first razors was the Merkur34C HD as I prefer shorter, heavy BullDog type handles.
    Let me add a BIG advantage IMO to 3 piece razors over adjustables, injectors or 2 piece razors is the ability to change handles. A different length, girth and/or weight handle can produce a significant change to your shave, making your shave head perform differently for better or worse. Let me add my thumbs up for the Gillette "Fat Handle Tech". I hope this helps you some....:happy088:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Wise choice my good man. The Merkur 23c is an excellent razor. If you purchase no other razor it will give you a lifetime of excellent shaves. Now find your perfect blade and Bob's your uncle. For me the Gillette Silver Blue or Astra SP is a very good match. Best of luck!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Buying first, then asking if it is a good razor? Just glad you got a good one.
    Next time don't hesitate to ask us before you buy. While every product has its lovers and haters, you can get a general consensus on what folks like or don't like, especially when it comes to dropping more than a few bucks on things like razors and brushes. Blades, soaps and creams aren't quite as big a hit on the wallet if they don't work out for you.