Merkur 34C, Fatboy and SS Red Tip, are they similar?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I currently own a Merkur 34C HD and a '61 Fatboy and a '66 Slim. I was debating on purchasing a Super Speed Red Tip because I had heard it was a bit more agressive

Can anyone who has any of the above comment on the SS Red in comparison?

The HD has a blade gap of .71 mm and the SS Red is .73mm but the HD weighs 78gr and the SS Red is 70. Are they rather close in performance?

The Fatboy and Slim when set to 4 has a gap of .74mm. The Fatboy is 79gr and the Slim is 79 gr. Does it really shave similarly to a SS Red tip in the 50's or so?

With what I have, is there any better experience to be gained by getting an SS Red?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i assume the fatboy was produced to replicate any of the current gillette razors of the time;an all in one type razor.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Only the experience of owning another piece of history.

I've gotten BBS out of all three of those razors with not much effort.

Marc Bagwell and brit like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I've had the 34C and currently have a Fatboy. The Fatboy on 3 is similar to the 34C, but much more aggressive on 7 or 9, in my opinion. I haven't used a red tip, but my guess is that it is more like a Fatboy on 7 or 9.

Sent via mobile

brit likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Some folks prefer the lower profile head of the Slim to the thick Fat Boy. My Red Tip appears to be similar to my Fat Boy.
    Shavewise I prefer the FB; WTG at 9, 6 for the rest.
    Red Tip doesn't do that.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A Red Tip is certainly not more aggressive than a Slim or Fatboy in its higher settings. You may enjoy the razor but it won't be a dramatically new experience. In the Gillette family that would mean one of the pre 1939 open comb razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Gillette Red Tip is a solid razor, no fuss.
    If I can include, the only way you will be able to tell is by trying all the above mentioned.

RyX likes this.
  8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I figured the SS wasn't which is why I posted the settings for the adjustables. Based on weight and gap, I was wondering if I could experience the SS without buying it so I would get an idea if I would like one and use it. If it is the same, that's cool. If it more or less, it would be cool to simulate it if possible.

RyX and theguitarshaver559 like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The red tip is a great razor, with a nice weight and balance. I love the knurled handle. I will say that it is comparable to a fat boy on 6-7.

RyX likes this.
  10. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I never tried and owned a red tip but I know they're very popular of the super speeds by doing some research.

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I find it interesting to hear that the SS Red has a similar gap as the HD and the adjustables on 4 and is close in weight YET it is still more aggressive!

What is it that makes it more aggressive?

Is it smooth?

Does the blade come out at a bad angle or something?

Is the blade less supported than those other razors?

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Let's not get carried away here, we're comparing the Red Tip to razors which in the grand scheme of things are quite mild. The Red Tip is still much closer to to a 34c than an R41. It won't hurt you .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

i own a redtip and a slim. Redtip is about a 7 on the slim. I like both razors alot.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thank you everyone. The one thing I forgot was blade exposure and how it plays into aggressiveness.

Does the SS Red Tip have more blade exposure than the Fatboy, Slim and 34C?

15. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Ive never really looked, But my red tip on my face feels like a 7 on my slim. Ill confirm tonight, but i dont think it has more exposure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk