Merkur 43c - Anyone Have Experience With One?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Col C, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Difficult to find much information on the Merkur 43c (not the 34c). There are a few reviews but not much in the way of videos online. Appears to be a rather heavy razor with the same head as the 34c but with a larger stainless steel handle. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

AGHisBBS and PanChango like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not trying to be funny, but I would think it would shave like any of the other Merkur razors. If you like the looks of it, go for it.

Personally I am not a fan of the smooth handles as my manual dexterity can be lacking due to some hand issues. That said, I have a Weber Bulldog handle that I use for all of my 3 piece razors.

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

My concern was more the weight. Supposedly it is quite a bit heavier. I use the 34c now and its my go to razor. I recently (yesterday) shaved with an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth with a smooth handle but it handled great. The longer handle and bulbous shape I think made the difference. I like the looks of the 43c along with the fact it is stainless steel.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I started with a 34c and liked it a lot. I went with a Weber Bulldog handle for 3 piece razors as it gave me more weight, good knurling, and was on the shorter side. I have had a 4" UFO in the past and it was just too long and heavy for me. Unfortunately, the only way to tell if it is right for you is to use one. Many of these type things are personal preference. I looked through my box and unfortunately don't have something comparable for you to try. If you would like to try a pre-war tech, I have one that you are more then welcome to try if you want.

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Thanks - but too late. I was just in the West Coast Shaving site buying another after shave and somehow I hit the buy button on a 43c. Guess I'll know if I like it in about a week. If I don't then it will make a nice PIF.

AGHisBBS and PanChango like this.