Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I take issue with the word "Clone". The Ming Shi Shaver 2000S is a blatant rip off and if I were CEO of Merkur, I would be livid. Just one man's opinion...

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

*shrug* It's a copy of a design that's well outside the patent limit. If you want to be livid about it, then you should be EXTREMELY angry at all the people that made copies of Gillette's razors, including Otto Roth. TMing Shi is not infringing on any intellectual property in any way, shape, or form. Nothing is stopping Merkur from making a newer, better adjustable - except Merkur.

whiteboy_cannon and EzraCobb like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If a company like Futur doesn't continue to protect it's products with a patent, and lets it slide, then they are open for other companies to copy them.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Seems an uninformed opinion. The patent application was filed in 1983, expired 2005. And as I have pointed out Merkur's history is one of copying other people's designs. They should Improve their designs and protect them with patents. It's capitalism Jake.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

They can, and if your happy with your purchase, so be it.

I personally will stick with the merkur model.
    Pocket knives are an example. Any knife may cut, but i like my Böker, case, Kershaw, Gerber, Parker (some of the older).
    It's just a question of what you want, a copy or the real McCoy. I'm not condemning, I am just saying how I feel.
    They could be giving them away (almost are). But I'm happy with an original .
    It's my shave, I'll enjoy it my way .

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Agreed. If the CEO of Merkur is going to be upset with anyone, then it has to be the person(s) who let the patents expire on a flagship product.

PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I want the original too, who wouldn't? Nobody is suggesting you trade in your original for a Ming Shi, that's nuts. But I and many others don't have $70 to spend on it (I've never spent more than $50 for a razor), nor can I justify the price difference based on performance (as reviewed by others) or some presumed and unproven difference in quality.

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

By agreement, patents protect an innovation for enough time for the inventor to make their product produce a profit. After that the idea is common property. Weishi is making clones of Gillette Flare Tips. Not as good as the original on fit, finish, or choice of materials. The basic engineering is a clone. I own both and prefer the original.
    The Futur razor ran it's course of patent protection. Now it's open season for other companies to see if they can win at the game of Capitalism. If Merkur comes up with a new & improved patent worthy version the patent period begins again.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Exactly. And there are two kinds of patents, utility and design. Even if Merkur had no innovative engineering Improvements, a new look Futur could be protected by a design patent (as the Mongoose has obtained, for example).

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Good points everybody. I was unaware of the patent dates and that they had expired. I humbly withdraw my comment. :scared003:

DaltonGang, PickledNorthern and Jim99 like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    You are correct. I was uninformed. Mea culpa.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Another good point.

DaltonGang, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Your umbridge was understood. Chinese cloning, retro-engineering, & downright pirating of designs is reason to be upset.
    Do you own a true Futur? If so what's your impression? If not, will you try one of these entirely too inexpensive clones?

Primotenore and jmudrick like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Do not own an original Futur. While it looks "massively" cool, I have never been tempted. I posted without enough information and that is never a good idea. Lesson learned.

DaltonGang, RyX and BayouFlyFisher like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Companies are always trying to recreate vintage razor designs and no one has had a problem until now. Many other companies (not going to name and names) have done this time and time again. If it is legal to use the same design then its fair game, if they are breaking the law then they deserve to be sued. Either way its not the consumers fault.

Personally have not been one to spend over $100 for a razor, because it seems unnecessary if a $10-20 razor works just fine. Just my opinion, and would rather spend my money on soaps, aftershaves and balms.

Bookworm, RyX and BayouFlyFisher like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

To be fair to the critics, the difference between Ming Shi and PAA is that the designs offered by PAA while not original are also not in production. Be that as it may, neither Ming Shi nor PAA is engaging in any illegal or even unusual activity in marketing an unprotected design.

18. RyX likes this.
  19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Man, I ordered three of them. How many do you think I need? :p

MR41 and RyX like this.
  20. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe how cheap these are going for. Good option for someone wanting an inexpensive adjustable.
    I was never really interested in the Futur and don't think I'll buy a knockoff even at this price.