Merkur Slant vs 1947 Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gawga_boy, Jun 9, 2009.

1. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I went out of town this weekend in pursuit of one of my hobbies. I didn't want to carry my new NOS late 1940s/'50s vintage Merkur Slant cause I don't want anything to happen to it. So I carried my '47 SS instead with the one use Treet Blue Specials and my TOBS soap and old backup boar brush. For one shave use those blades gave a pretty good shave with my SS.

I've been shaving with the Slant for a couple weeks I guess sow what a surprise Saturday morning when I shaved with the SS. It was like I was shaving with one of the infernal disposable multi-blade thing some folks call razors vs the silky smooth shave the Slant gives. I could hardly believe the difference I was experiencing. I had to tell myself to stop trying to get as close a shave with the SS cause it wasn't going to happen no matter how many passes or buffing I could do.

Man if only Merkur had travel version of the Slant.

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

The slant is really good but those 40s SS has something really cool about them.Maybe is cuz I can shave faster with them that with my slant and If I go AGT I can get a really close shave with the SS,but with the slant you can get a smooth shave without the ATG pass.Both razors are excellent.