Merkur Vision - Progress - Futur ??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rick, Feb 28, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Looking to add a new razor to the herd.
    Currently using:
    * Gillette SS (1950's, I think)
    * Gillette Slim Adjustible (no idea on date.....Blair??)
    * Merkur RARE !! Gold Slant

These 3 give me all the flexibility I NEED...but I WANT something with some panache !!
    I've been considering the Vision, the Progress and the Futur.
    Can anyone give me opinions - Good and Bad - on these 3 razors ??
    Thanks.

Spyder likes this.
  2. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I love my Progress but I wouldn't say it has "panache"--its basically an adjustable HD.

--Mark

3. rick

Mark....

would you then say the Vision 2000
    is like an adjustible Slant ??
    I've seen comments about a slight slant head on the Vision 2000.
    True or False ??

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What about the new Merkur that is coming out soon?

6. madmedic

That's another 3 months away. That is time to buy all the others and then the new one as well :rofl

7. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Sorry, couldn't say. I've only seen a Vision in a display case. :ashamed001

--Mark

8. rick

Who here has, or has had, a Futur ?
    ......Besides you, Brian ;)
    And what did you think of it ??

9. Queen of Blades

I use to have a future, but then I got married and had a baby. :p

:happy097

10. rick

and now you have a VISION !!:angelic010

11. Queen of Blades

Exactly!

Jenna > ::angelic004 :love029 < me

12. fritz

fritz New Member

I have a Futur and a LH Classic. I like both of them. But I tend to use the Futur more. I like the looks, the blade change, the adjustability-- 1-1.5 for a brand new Feather, then up to 2-3 as the blade ages. And back down a bit on the XTG passes. I often use a Dovo Shavette (black holder) for my nose and lip finishing (pass 4), because it's a difficult area for me and that helps me see and control the blade angle better.

The LH gets used (usually with a Merkur blade) if I'm running late and just need a quick 1-pass shave that's just "adequate".

I use Kyle's end-grip on the LH, and Michael's "balance-point" grip on the Futur.

I also like the Futur's heft, feel, and balance; so naturally I'm attracted to the Vision. Going to save up and splurge on a gold one.:D

13. madmedic

I used my new progress for the first time tonight.......a very pleasant and comfortable experience, and an absolute doddle compared to using the Futur.
    Can anyone give me any advice on settings. I normally use my Futur set on 3.5 to 4. I started with approx 4.5 on the Progress. I thought this would have been on the high side, as the Progres is adjustable to Five and a bit compared to Six on the Futur.The shaving experiences are totally different. The Progress seems to be much more forgiving.

14. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

The Futur was my very first DE. There is a lot to like about it, but it has it's share of problems.
    Aesthetically speaking it is, IMO, one of the best looking razors available today. The clean lines are very elegant and when you hold it in your hands you are immediately aware that you are holding a prime example of exceptional teutonic engineering.
    In terms of the closeness of the shave it offers, the Futur is definitely a force to be reckoned with. The exposure coupled with the weight of the razor mean that fully opened up on 6 the Futur yields a shave as close to the mythic one pass BBS as you are ever likely to get. Even on it's lowest setting the Futur is a good deal more aggressive than many other razors.
    In terms of overall shave quality however, the Futur doesn't yield the most comfortable of shaves. The razor has a tendency to skip and stutter, factor in the weight of the razor and the lack of any grip on the handle and it demands the utmost attention at all times. Also, the way the Futur holds a blade, simply having the cap pressed down, means that there is little tension in the blade itself, this makes the shave seem very "raspy" for lack of a better word, and is a major cause of skipping.
    The Futur also seems much more difficult to manoeuvre than the larger Vision 2000 due to the aforementioned problems. Whilst I do not want to overstate the handling problems that plague this razor, it is definitely a problem when comparing it to other DE's.
    I still have my Futur, it will remain in my collection, but I think that much of my fondness for this razor is due to nostalgia.
    Out of the three Merkur adjustables, the Progress is the finest shaver IMO, it is just very dull when compared to the other two. If you want panache then the Futur or the Vision are the razors to choose.
    Regards,
    Alex

Tdmsu likes this.
  15. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

True, but this is a result of poor quality control. The slant is not actually meant to be there. Merkur insist that the exposure is well within acceptable tolerances on the razors, but the differences in exposure on either side of the DE, and in some cases from one end to the other are quite noticeable. Back in the early days of wet shaving forums there was a lot of speculation about whether or not one side of the Vision 2000 was meant to be more aggressive than the other. The problem is easily rectifiable however. Whilst I can't remember specific threads off the top of my head, there a couple of possts about correcting the Vision over on SMF.
    Still, if you want an adjustable slant an improperly aligned Vision is the way to go.;)
    Regards,
    Alex

16. fritz

fritz New Member

I have heard that the head construction on the Progress is such that you get the right blade angle with the handle dropped considerably more from the horizontal than most other DE shavers. Since many people tend to hold the handle too low, this compensates for that. If, OTOH, you hold it at about the same angle as the Futur, the blade will actually be moved away from your face more, resulting in a much less aggressive shave.

Which blade are you using? There's a big difference from Feathers (sharpest) down to Merkurs (less sharp). One thing I like about adjustables is that you can tailor the adjustment to the blade sharpness, and use higher numbers as the blade collects more shaves.

Finally, where do you hold the Futur? If you hold it on the large bottom part, that heavy head will put a lot more pressure on your face than if you hold it near the "waist", around the balance part.

And if you use a Futur on 4, then the Progress even on 5 may not be as aggressive as you need/want.

17. rick

Thanks for all the info you guys.
    I'm still uncertain on which will be next.
    My BAD is currently under control.
    My RAD is itchy, but the 3 razors currently in the stable
    *Gold Slant - Aggressive
    *SS - Mild
    *Slim Adjustable - Whatever I want it to be
    are giving me all the variety I NEED.
    I am going to be certain on this one before I take the plunge.
    Keep the comments and critiques a comin'.
    Help me, Rhonda.....
    :D

18. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

LOL....so U traded a FUTURE for a VISION ???

19. Queen of Blades

Yep, sure did. :D

20. lancelot

lancelot New Member

I've got the Future & the Vision. they look like papa bear & baby bear, The Vision is HUGE; however it is no more aggressive, maybe less so. Hellava lot of delicate, moving parts to regularly clean & lube on the Vision.
    Ron