military shaving kit question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alfred Newman, May 17, 2014.

1. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

good morning everyone, I hope y'all are doing well… I have a question that I would like to pose to the group. Did Gillette ever produce a khaki military set that included a 1941 Ranger. Please have a look at the picture, it looks gold to me and I don't think that the Ranger was ever produced in gold, although I may be wrong…HELP… Thanks very much, I wait for your expert opinions. Below please find a picture of the kit il_570xN.603052670_4sb6.jpg

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think that's just mismatched but still very nice. You can probably find the razor to complete the set if you want.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

thanks very much Brian, I can't find it on Mr. razor anywhere and I'm wondering if this set is even World War II, I did find a World War I set similar to this in silver and it had a Gillette standard with it, that seems more appropriate to me because I don't think they even made these cases during World War II especially in gold… Thanks very much for your comment

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I fear it isn't an original set, though it looks great together!

5. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

that's the problem, I would like it to be original and I'm not even sure of its World War I or World War II, after doing some research I find that the World War I khaki kit that looks like this held the Gillette standard razor but the seller of this item insists it's from World War II, I can't find any information whatsoever anywhere about this set even being produced during World War II let alone with the Gillette Ranger… Any comments would be appreciated… Thanks

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's a WWI set too. Wouldn't be the first time a seller was a bit wrong. I believe in WWII Gillette was producing Techs that did not come with the containers or the box. And I didn't even notice your containers were gold instead of silver so they may not be quite correct either but still a very nice acquisition. I'd trust the info on Mr Razor much more than anything a seller told me.

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

So the real question is: are you willing to pay what the seller wants, regardless of authenticity of the set? That is what it comes down to. I for one am not that much of a purist, so I don't care really that much if a set is a complete and original set. But then again I wouldn't (and can't) spend a lot on a set either. :)

ObiDon likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Given that the Ranger was out so very briefly before the War had even begun (for the U.S., anyway), I'd tend to agree that it's just a mismatch. However, since that is arguably one of the best DEs Gillette ever produced, if it's a reasonable price it's well worth having just for the Ranger, mismatch or not.

9. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

the seller got back to me and it turns out that it's just the lighting I guess, the set is silver and as far as I can find out from my research it has to be World War I…I don't think that Gillette produced any of these sets during World War II, so all I have to do is replace the razor with a standard and I get a Gillette Ranger in the bargain… Not a bad deal for $78 plus shipping :) :) Thanks for your help

I agree with you completely… Thanks for your help

I want to thank everybody in the group for putting their two cents in, as far as I'm concerned this is the best razors site on the web… B and B everybody's a little bit uppity if you know what I mean… Anyway thanks very much, have a great day

10. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Man, that set is neat...original or not. I need to look around and find one of those for my personal travel. Kinda neat to use a WWI (or WWII) set on a modern day deployment.

11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Wow
    I could not tell you what it is. But I can say this you have a great find there.:happy088:

12. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

I think it is the illumination that gives everything that gold cast. Look at your background.
    Try photographing it by daylight only not incandescent bulbs which are much too warm nor by mixed lighting.
    Mickey

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

military? Thank you very much for the service to our wonderful country, God bless America.

thank you very much for your comment Sir, it's truly appreciated

I absolutely agree with every statement on your page

I agree, it has to be the lighting… Also the seller confirmed it… The funny thing is I bought it even before I knew it was silver… I think I have RAD… Razor acquisition disorder, but I just don't care LOL, thank you for commenting, I can use all the help I can get

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Your welcome.
    Although I have been most "Wet Shaving" basically most of my life, there is still a lot of things and knowledge about the "Art of Wet Shaving" There is still a lot to learn.

As one of my relatives always said "The truth is in the pudding."

15. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

I see what you mean, the left-hand side of the picture is yellowish, I take a lot of pictures myself for some reason I seem to get a lot of sparkles shiny objects. I must admit I don't have the greatest camera in the world but it is sufficient. Also it's very hard to find sunlight in New York for about seven months out of the year… LOL… But I'm keeping a good thought… Thanks

a very wise man once told me, if you don't learn something every day you have wasted your day, that came from my grandfather!