Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shaver X, Jul 2, 2016.

1. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

MWF is my island soap. L'Occitabe Cade (puck) would be #2.

Tdmsu likes this.
  2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Sounds like you guys are in Fat City!

SpeedyPC, Tdmsu and RetLEO-07 like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have up on MWF a year ago and gave away my puck. You guys have convinced me that I must try it again. I just ordered a puck.

PLAla, Zykris, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

Zykris and mrchick like this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@mrchick trust me you LOVE MWF and you must hang on tight and don't give up on the FAT because this will give you a FANTASTIC post shave throughout the whole seasons, and is also fantastic to used mostly in the winter season so it doesn't matter just as long as you don't give up on the FAT.

6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Takes some practice to get the water ratio correct, but when you find it, excellent soap IMO, my avatar is the fat whipped up on a L'Occitane Plisson. Make sure you soak the puck at least 24 hours prior to first use, I have found that helps a lot. Some folks grate it first, I have never done that so can't comment personally on effectiveness, others may chime in who have.

Zykris, Tdmsu and mrchick like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

I must've lucked out. When I got mine, the next day I used it and just bloomed it with hot water while I brushed my teeth. No problems.

Zykris, mrchick and dbersh like this.
  8. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue either getting good lather from day 1, but did pre-soak as mentioned based on advice here.

9. Shaver X

You soaked the brush or the soap? One thing I did notice is that Mitchell's Wool Fat lathers best using a brush with some backbone. My Vie Long Epsilon horse hair brush lathered the soap much better than a floppy Dovo 918 052 pure badger. I first used MWF with the Dovo brush, and concluded that the soap was not all that great. Big mistake!

Tdmsu, Zykris, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

The Fat flys in the morning!!

mrchick and Zykris like this.
  11. SpeedyPC

@Shaver X what I normally do with my MWF is I dribble some cold or warm water on top of the dry puck to cover the area of the top layer of soap and place the lid back on the ceramic dish, and then I soak the boar or badger brush in a mug with cold or warm water for 5 or 10 mins while the dribble of water is soaking up on top of the dry puck without soaking the whole puck in water. Shake the brush first and then remove the lid from the MWF ceramic dish as you will see by now the dribble of water has soak up at the top of the puck this will help loosen the top layer of soap, and then start loading as you hate it on top of puck for 30 or 35 second and then wet your face and start face lathering you might need to add little bit of extra water as you go along building up your face lather.

Then you'll should have enough lather on your brush to last for at least 4 or 5 passes :)

How long do I normally load the brush with MWF, remember load it like you hate it.

1. If your using a synthetic brush just run it under the tap water you don't need to soak it in a mug, and load the brush for 20 or 25 sec.
    2. If your using a boar or horse hair brush, I load the brush for 30 or 35 sec. (I only have boar, I've never used horse hair)
    3. If your using a Fine or Best Badger brush, I load the brush for 40 or 45 sec.
    4. If your using a Silvertip Badger brush, I load the brush for 50 or 55 sec.

Good luck and may the MWF force be with you ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Shaver X, PLAla, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  12. SpeedyPC

PLAla likes this.
  13. RetLEO-07

Wool Fat Wednesday!!
    WOOHOO!!

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Not bad. I'm getting decent lather. I'm going to keep at it.

PLAla likes this.
  15. SpeedyPC

@mrchick the more you keep at it, the more you'll see the light..........you must be patient grasshopper ;) MWF can be a tough little bastard :p
    [​IMG]

@mrchick meet the MWF Grand Master click here if you want to learn grasshopper ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    mrchick likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I got my puck of The Fat yesterday. Used my 24mm WD boar and wrung all the water out of it before going to the dry puck. I loaded lots of product. Painted the pastry soap on my face and slowly incorporated water. Once it started developing, I went into a face lather. It really wasn't that hard at all! The soap was slick, thick and a dream to shave with. Post feel: Mother of pearl! It ranks up there with or a bit above Stirling for me. Love the Fat!

Kilgore Trout, mrchick and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

:happy088: :eatdrink047:

Zykris likes this.
  18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Have any of you guy's tried Classic Shaving's Woolfat Shaving Soap?. Just curious if it's similar to MWF.

CLAYTON

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PLAla and Shaver X like this.
  19. Shaver X

Until now, I did not even realize they sold a woolfat shaving soap. Interesting, it comes in various scents. It is almost three times the price of MWF, if you buy MWF from Connaught Shaving. Even so, maybe worth a try?

PLAla likes this.
  20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Classic Shaving has a marked down Woolfat soap puck that is made from the leftovers of whatever scents they made that day. I think it's under $10.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk