Moderately Masculine Scented Soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by melrose, Jun 10, 2016.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

I'm relatively new to wet shaving (a few months in) and am looking for a soap with a reserved masculine scent.

I got Blackbeard from WSP because it was advertised as a tobacco-based scent reminiscent of the rustic piracy of it's namesake (I get that's marketing verbiage but you get the idea), and it turned out to just be a HORRENDOUSLY overbearing Patchouli smell like a hippie van loaded with incense and weed - no tobacco and no rustic scent in sight.

I tried Sweet Gale, which has the addition of Aberfeldy scotch, and while I like the smell it's not quite as rustic as I'd like and it fades very, very fast. It's a bit too Coca-Cola-esque.

A reviewer on Amazon said that WSP Tobacco smells more like a Tom Ford men's cologne (not a fan of colognes in general) but that intrigued me.

Can anyone recommend a shaving soap that has a rich natural, woodsy, masculine scent? I can't keep spending 15-20 dollars trying to sample stuff that I end up giving away. I'm not big on the "Smells Like my Grandpa"-type stuff you get from Old Spice products or Brut, if you know what I mean.

Thank you so much!

ob1page likes this.
  2. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Saponificio Varesino Manna scent is a great manly wood scent IMHO.

RyX and melrose like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Societal norms go through cycles. What was Manly a century ago is Floral (Lady like?) today. The description of a "rich natural, woodsy, masculine scent" means different things to each of us.
    Because my experience and tastes are different from yours I might suggest going to a site like Basenotes to search cologne types. That may give you a clue to finding soaps scented as you prefer. Have you encountered Pinaude Clubman Special Reserve?
    Some soap makers will make a custom batch just for you if you can identify the components desired.

Spud, ARGH and melrose like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Old Aramis soap, if you can find it. Someone needs to clone it.

Spud and melrose like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Buy samples. TSD, Maggards, Stirling, WSP, and many others all offer samples. I recommend going with the fragrance samples, as that's the cheapest way to check out a scent.

PickledNorthern, RyX and melrose like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Here is the recipe:
    1. Top Notes
      • Bergamot Oil
    2. Heart Notes
      • Clary Sage,
      • Myrtle Oil,
      • Clove Bud Oil
    3. Base notes
      • Patchouli,
      • Sandalwood,
      • Vetiver,
      • Tree Moss
    Many of these components are available as essential oils. You might experiment, but those little bottles can be costly. Caution when using these extracts. They are distilled from the sources and can cause irritation if applied directly to the skin.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

A good natural woodsy scent is Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice, smells just like it sounds, very nice masculine cedar scent.

Barrister & Mann Latha Taiga- more of a pine/balsam scent, but very woodsy

These are the 2 I could think of off top of my head, but samples are a great idea, and both of these can be found in samples.

RyX likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a few recommendations:

(Keep in mind, all of these can be bought in samples.)

- Stirling: Green, Executive Man, Sharp Dressed Man, Spice... (IMO, the best sample prices anywhere...)
    - Soap Commander: Courage
    - Chiseled Face: Ghost Town Barber (or try any or most that the description catches your eye.)
    - Route 66: Bourbon Jungle, Cavendish

My recommendation is to go to maggardrazors.com and check out their sample section.

Stirling has to be purchased from their website: stirlingsoap.com

Route 66 the same: retroshaveshop.com

My only words of advice would be that: If you can't get a 4-5 shave sample (or more), for a couple/few bucks..... Go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    RyX and Salty Belle like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Lavender is timeless, as is sandalwood, in my opinion.

Or you could directly go to Tabac ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Spud and Terry Williams like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

How does one know when the soap fragrance has crossed over from moderately masculine to full-blown masculine? :D

[​IMG]

11. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

While I wouldn't call it woodsy I just received an order from Stirling. The Barbershop has a very masculine scent to it as well as the Stirling Gentleman. On the Route 66 side their Barbershop Hop is fantastic. Like others have mentioned, look for samples. Good luck!

Salty Belle and Robyflexx like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    Yup, samples. Read the scent descriptions and pick what you like.

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't see Stirling Gentleman anywhere. Where did you find that one?

ob1page likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

I should have bought Ghost Town Barber when I had the chance....grrrrrrrrrr.

15. Paul Turner

@Manhandssoap. com could qualify for FBM-they have shave soaps among their arsenal.

16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Rod included a sample of it in the order I just received.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

My first Stirling soap will be a sample, but I'm going all the way with my first Stirling A.S.

18. Paul Turner

must be VERY new. I'll just have to keep looking. The name itself attracts me.

ob1page likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

One of my favorites is, Stirling Ozark Mountain.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

+1 for samples. Try "mama bear soaps." She has the biggest catalog of soaps i have ever seen, and they are some of the best on the world. $1 a piece, or you can get sets which are pre-prepared for under $1 each. She has sea moss on sale for $2.30 for a puck right now...light and masculine.

ob1page likes this.