Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The only thing that high I'm interested in is the Rockwell 6S. :)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Yup.
    The 6S was actually my most expensive purchase. It was a Father’s Day gift to myself last year. Very nice razor. Used it this afternoon for my Sunday shave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

my most expensive purchase was my #16 british aristocrat with case.the new toggle looks cool though. i am glad i went the vintage gillette route. i am fortunate to have some near mint examples of aristocrats , techs and superspeeds.they shave well enough for me.

preidy, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Very cool and interesting .
    They say they are from mn but don't say where they plan to manufacturer these babies. Us or Canada mfg and I'm probably inclined to buy. Otherwise not .Especially if the price point is high .

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have to agree. Making an expensive reproduction of something that never was that big a deal. Sucker born every minute!

TobyC likes this.
  6. blitz

blitz Member

Never was one for the classics but on a positive note, the fact the projects like this keep popping up is sign the DE market if alive and growing .

DaltonGang likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The fact that it's a mechanical engineer doing it is encouraging. Will watch this one.

8. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Rube Goldberg was a mechanical engineer.

RyX likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

His stuff worked too.

I've seen people fund just regular razor enthusiasts...we know how that goes.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm not a big Gillette Toggle guy. The "T" is one of the few razors that just doesn't flip my switch. Having said that, I do think that this looks like a quality razor (materials) and I will give them and big A+ for bringing back this historic design and wish them all the best.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

People keep bringing up the Edsel, and try to intimate that it was a failure because it was a bad car. It wasn't. It suffered from the same problem as Disney's Fantasia - too much, too soon. Every feature of the car ended up in other cars within 10 years - just one at a time, rather than all at once. Their review panel was more people that were willing to experiment with their cars, and the general public just didn't like _how many changes_ were in the car. Why do I know this? My main sociology instructor was part of the group that put together the focus group. My father (mechanical design engineer) was the one that pointed out all the features of the Edsel that ended up in all of the other cars within 10 years. I'd love to have an Edsel, personally.

As for a Toggle - the same engineer father and I looked at it, and it just screams "I'm an overcomplicated design!" Which is probably the real reason the Adjustable and the various TTO's replaced it. KISS is a good thing, and unfortunately Gillette ignored it several times.

RyX, Jim99, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  12. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have always wanted a Toggle, just to say I have one and put it on display. I am unwilling to pay the huge expense of acquiring one online and the realistic hopes of finding one in the wild is small. I also expect the price point of this model to be out of reach for me as well since I am a cheapskate. The most I have paid for a razor was for a Gem Damaskeene open comb that I am still kicking myself for overspending on. The second most expensive is a Gillette Psycho that was also on my hit parade. Either way I hope the people who are willing to spend the required $$ truly get a quality razor that the are happy to own/use and I will admire it from afar as well..

178-bplatoon, Keithmax and Bookworm like this.
  13. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

To me its the quality and price point. And if its manufactured in the us. I'm surprised at the toggled haters and criticism of this guy and his start up. Personally I wish him well and am interested in what he comes up with. Starting a business is a huge challenge and I wish him luck.

brit, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am holding out for the "Real McCoy".

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm not criticizing the guy or his start up. Just the Toggle :)

16. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I just received email from them as newsletter. looks like they did finished the assembly on the razors and came across 2 problems, the doors not clamping the blade tight enough and the toggle mechanism working little bit abruptly instead of firmly. So he has 2 ways fixing this. still reading the update, but the assembled razor looks nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brit, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

more pics, offered with 3 different PVD coating: black, yellow gold, and white gold. Also offered as basic just 316L no coatings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    jtspartan, brit, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  18. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

A very informative read and breakdown of what is going on and what needs to be done moving forward. I swore I was not going to purchase any hardware for 2018.
    I never should have said a thing to the Misses.... :angry032:

jeraldgordon likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The same problem with some of Gillettes toggles, doors not closing completely tight. It's why consumers liked the Fatboy better and the toggle was discontinued. I was hoping he knew that and made a better design for the closing mechanism.Hope he still does.

Keithmax, jar and Rhody like this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

He'll have to deviate from the original over-center design that is the design flaw in the original. They didn't work, and didn't sell in the first place, some things are better off left to rest in peace.

Enrico and jar like this.