More aggressive: Different razor - Different blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Mar 22, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

I posted recently that I was less than impressed with Rapira platinum lux. Initially I felt they were as blunt as a butter knife, however I purchased 100 of the blades so a second try was in order. I'm not big on living on the edge so the most aggressive I set my Progress to is about 3. At 3 the Rapira platinum lux felt dull and lifeless so on a whim I took a deep breath and went to 4. The blade woke up and gave me a really nice shave. I wasn't really aware of the extra blade gap because everything was so smooth. Possibly this blade prefers a more aggressive razor - I'm not sure.

Most blades seem to perform adequately in the Progrees but the same blades for me may not work as well in the Slim or the Ideal. Do you have any favourite razor/blade combos that work best for you?

Steve

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I really like the Platinum Lux in all the razors I have. They have become my go to blade. I have also been trying out the Gillette Silver Blues. While I don't want to judge to early, they don't seem to work quite as well and don't seem to be lasting as many shaves as the PL's.

David Green likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this is why im a big believer in adjustables (especially if new)...you can really find out a lot of things about your shave with a adjustable razor....which is something that can take a lot of time and money....good for you @bald as

5. Rustty

Rustty Active Member

I also purchased 100 of the Rapira Platinum Lux blades and couldn't be happier with the surface finish I'm getting from these blades with 3-4 shaves per blade.
    Currently using the Feather As-D2s as my weapon of choice which is apparently quite the mild razor.
    I have also just tried the Rapira Super Stainless blades today and was also quite impressed.

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I tried the Rapira Lux in my Gillette Fat Boy @6 and got a BBS but needed 3 passes + touchup, Tried it in my Weber PH and got a BBS with 2 passes +touch up, with both shaves I got a little razor burn, it's a good blade but I prefer the Personna Reds, 2 pass and touch up, BBS with all my razors, no burn

7. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I am waiting for my from Russia with love sample pack of 6 tucks of different blades . I have heard so many great things, it will be a treat to try them.

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like the Lux, it's a nice blade. But I've found that blades perform differently in different razors.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I use my Muhle R41 the only blade that works for me is a Personna Lab Blue.

10. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I love my Rapira luxes. They work great in my super adjustable on 9.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You may want to take a look at this thread for the overall thematics of aggressive / mild (razors) and sharp / smooth (blades).

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ild-sharp-or-smooth-a-general-overview.37813/

12. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

Thanks, a very good read.

GDCarrington likes this.