More Growth = Better Shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by COMPNOR, Jul 16, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So do you ever feel like you get a closer shave when you have longer stubble? I shave everyday for work, and I can get good shaves. But when I've gone a two or three days (like tonight), I feel like I get closer shaves. I don't know if there is science behind it, if the longer hair makes it easier for the razor to grab onto or what.

But tonight I haven't shaved since Thursday, so had a bit of growth on my face. First pass WTG wow. Didn't even feel the blade, and it was all so effortless. A second ATG and I was pretty much done. Not BBS, but DFS-. It just felt that good.

And this is all kit I've used before. Schick E3, Dr. Jon's Hydra soap, my Simpson Best Badger travel brush, Maggard's PSO (which leaked everywhere in my dopp bag, so that might have contributed to the excellent shave), just felt good all around.

brit, Keithmax, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.
  2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Iirc, then yes. I typically shave every other day. I admit I've gotten lazy lately and need to buzz my head so I can shave.

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

There is a certain satisfaction from seeing more beard in the bottom of the sink, on the off days.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do feel as though I get a better shave every other day, once in almost 5 years of traditional wet shaving I went about a week (hospital stay) without shaving, and I had the most amazing shave

BigMark83 likes this.
  5. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

5 days? Man... I feel like a hippy after 2...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think it may just feel comparatively smooth.
    I think you get used to feeling rough, then once smooth, it feels super smooth.
    Sorta like the feeling after a haircut. The newness of it makes you super sensitive.

I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ditto. I had an IV in my neck, nothing I could really do.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes. But I do not have any explanation for it.

John Beeman and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My .02 cents...
    I believe it's because your skin is healed from shaving daily.

10. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I typically shave every 3 to 4 days partly due to sensitive skin but mostly out of laziness. I've noticed that longer hair tends to soften easier than stubble but I have to agree with what Jorvaljr said above. My skin is too tender to shave the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Try shaving twice a day. When the wife and I go out in the evening I hit the 5 o'clock with a one or two pass and get my closest shave. Generally speaking a 3-4 day growth causes me to turn my one or two pass shave into three pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you're wrong, we're both wrong. I believe the same thing.

13. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

I agree. I have a heavy beard and I usually don't shave daily. I enjoy it more that way.

brit likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

As I have shaved every day for my working life, when I'm off I don't shave. When I was on the Job, my four days off I never even looked at a razor. Vakay's the same. After 12 days, I looked like Grizzly Adams. Since I've become involved with this thing of ours, two days is the max I'll go without shaving. But, shaving after those 4 or 12 days, even with a cart, were nice and close. I have no explanation for it, but I like it!

chevyguy, AGHisBBS and BigMark83 like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This is my experience. I can get as close of a shave within 24 hours, but, if I wait 36 hours or longer the shave seems more comfortable.

COMPNOR, GatorJoe and John Beeman like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Not sure if it's an illusion but I often think skipping a couple days makes it better - not every time, but most of the time I feel like the shave was better.

Spyder and BigMark83 like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

smoother and longer lasting if i shave every 3-4 days.illusion or not just feels better. more irritation if i chase dfs every day.

Spyder likes this.
  18. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I shave every other, or every third day. If I try to shave every day, I get a lot of nicks and weepers, and it feels like the blade snags instead of cutting. Seems like if I have a bit more growth, my whiskers soften up more.

Spyder likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sunday starts the new shave week. Two day growth for the OLD and my next blade audition; PolSilver Super Iridium. I'm expecting a close shave and I'd be willing to bet I'll get it.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I agree, my skin alway's feels better if go a couple day's in between shaves. The shaves feel smoother too..

Clayton

Douglas Carey, Spyder and BigMark83 like this.