Multibladed VS Single-Bladed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael519, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Michael519

Michael519 Member

Arguably enough, I'm sure that the promise of a single more effective and cost friendly shaving blade is what lead many of you to make the switch from cartridge or disposable razors. (Provided you havn't wetshaved your entire life) At least, I could say as much myself . . .(I have hopes that the blade will be of better quality when it arrives)

But many companies, particularly Gillette, seem bent on driving that multi-bladed philosophy. What is it about a razor using multiple blades that is supposed to make the shave better? Not only do they suggest that it will result in a better blade, but stress upon their use. Marketing, maybe, but in such a case they could always produce cheaper, single bladed razors.

Thoughts?
    A good example of what I'm talking about can be seen in this video, posted on Gillette's youtube channel:

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Originally there were only single blade razors until around 1972 when Gillette came out with the Trac II. In the beginning of DE and other single edge blades, instructions were provided on how to shave. Over time, men and women, were expected to learn from each other and technique deteriorated. By the 1950s canned shaving cream was coming out and the lack of hydration made shaving worse not better. Blades were improving until the 1960s and early 1970 when no more real improvements could be made in coatings, steel compostion, grinding, honing and stropping techniques. People were in more of a hurry so shaving became process of nick and cuts due to bad technique. The Trac II came along and essentially made shaving less time consuming and, yes better for many individuals. The problem with any razor format is that patents expire and lower cost competitors move in and profits are eroded. So the companies brought in pivoting (Atra), and more and more blades to change the format to keep patent rights and the higher profit margins.

I hate to say it but in reality big corporations don't really care how you shave or a lot of other things that you need as a customer. They are beholden to their stakeholders. What that has translated into after founding families were eliminated or surrendered their stakes in corporations is basically that the CEO / COO becomes the most powerful direct stakeholder. That individual in a short time must amass a a large sum of money to gain more power. Institutionalize trading companies also demand high profit margins to gain additional buyers of portfolio and shares.

In the end, more blades or differing gimmicks means patents, which means higher profit margins for the corporations. That means they get more of the money you earn.
    Gillette / Wilkinson-Schick have big interests in making sure you have few to no alternatives to their products. A duopoly provides the illusion of competition in the market.
    The loser in the whole issue tends to be the consumer who has a more limited level of choice at higher prices.

For full disclosure, I use Trac II and Atra class razors on my head and if I need to go on travel. The patents have expired, the cartridges are reasonably priced and they provide good shaves.

Hope this helps.

Jaymo, battle.munky and Slivovitz like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You have to remember, we live in a "gotta-have-it-now" day and age. There's a reason my son has refused to go with the less expensive DE and still uses the more expensive cartridges - carts are faster. I guess the thought of adding more blades means there are fewer passes to make, thus saving time. And if two blades are good, 43 has to be better. Of course, "better" is a relative term. Do you want to apply it to the time you save, or the to quality of your shave? If it's time - use the carts. If it's quality - use the safety razor. Yes, I feel the quality of my shaves has improved. My wife has noticed a difference - using safety razors, my face is smoother at the end of the day than when I used carts. That right there is enough to convince me to continue using the safety razor :sexe:

Slivovitz likes this.
  4. Michael519

Michael519 Member

I'm 19 myself, and began looking for better ways to shave after endless counts of razor burn, blood and ingrown hairs. I'd always shot to get the best I could possibly buy in the shaving aisle at Walmart, thinking it would mean the elimination of all that irritation. The thought of 10 superb blades for the cost of one mediocre cartridge is enough to win me over, personally.

It's just, if one blade can do it not only better, but for far less money than a cart, it really makes me wonder why the whole world hasn't jumped on board...

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I mentioned earlier about instructions from companies. Here is an example of how companies before the 1960s taught their customers shaving techniques.
    Now this is one of many examples. In a few incidences, some companies contradict the other companies methods, but for the most part razor manufacturers, shaving cream companies, brush companies want consumers to be educated on the use of their products to build brand loyalty.

These are instructions from Burma Shave in 1954. Burma Shave was a brushless cream that you applied by hand (no brush needed).
    If you were using a soap or a brush cream #2 would be different.

Burma Shave Back.jpg

Now you have TSD to help you out.
    Hope this helps.

Jaymo, Slivovitz and swarden43 like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. Even they recommend at least two passes.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

One blade, two blade, red white and blue blade... all I know is that once I switched to DE, SE, STR8 blades, I Love To Shave!

Lots of great answers here today!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I respect all cartridge razor users. Hey, if they choose to shave that way, it's their prerogative. I myself cannot shave any other way than with a DE.

9. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

There are arguments to be made for multi-blade razors; the question is where you stop adding blades. I'm old enough to remember the introductory ads for the Gillette Trac II, and the animations which supposedly showed the second blade catching the whisker which had been left behind by the first. This was promptly satirized by Saturday Night Live with the "bizarre" idea of a three blade razor. "Gillette Triple-Track, because you'll believe anything." Now we're up to five blades with the main manufacturers, and at least six with the off brands. Comedian's jokes about (haha) ten blade cartridges have gotten a bit old by now.

The idea of multiple blades did not start with cartridges. I have to get on with the rest of my day here in a little while, so don't have time to search for it, but there actually was an old DE razor where you were supposed to stack a number of standard DE blades between spacers. I frequently use late model Schick injectors with vintage twin injector blades, a sort of twin blade cartridge without the cartridge, no plastic involved. Still, I mostly use razors that have a single cutting edge (even a DE only uses one at a time:)).

I'd agree that innovations in cartridge technology are more about grabbing and maintaining a market share than actually making things better for the consumer. Still, I've tried many of the current leading brands out of sheer curiosity, and I'd have to admit that most give a perfectly good shave, if you pay attention to the technique of shaving. People who won't spend time learning the best way to use the tools they've selected will get a bad shave with anything.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Actually, I said I didn't have time to search, but it turned out to be pretty easy to find after all. Behold, the Multiplex, an Italian razor from the 1930s. It appears that I was wrong about the DE blades being standard, they were a special kind. More about that later, though. I really do have to run.

[​IMG]

battle.munky and Nick A like this.
  11. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Neat!

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Based on this discussion, I will use my Atra and Schick Ultrex carts some this week.

13. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

What do the Schick Ultrex carts fit? I like the Atra and Sensor, as far as cartridge razors go. Never tried a Trac II, but I have a customer who uses one and loves it.
    I never liked the limp-wristed pivot of the Mach3 and FUsion. Why design a lightweight razor, where you have to apply pressure, and handicap it with a pivot point that compromises the pressure and angle?

Most people never think about the fact that the first blade removes not only hair, but also the soap/cream from your face, and the second/third/fourth/fifth/sixth blades are essentially shaving you dry. NOT a recipe for a comfortable shave. The lube strip is useless as udders on a mule, since it's after both blades. If it was between the blades, I could see the value in it, but it's useless to lube your face AFTER you shave it.

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ultrex Plus Cartridges were designed to fit on all Ultrex, Super II, Trac II and Atra razors. 1-Push Cleaning Bar. Pivoting Head. Ultrex Plus one-push cleaning bar removes soap and stubble from your twin blades for clean, close shaves. It along with it's brother the Schick Slim Twin were in my opinion the very best cartridges produced in a mass production.

One of the reasons why you don't like Mach3 and Fusion is the same reason why I don't like the Sensor. It is not as bad in the pivot area, but I don't like to use it for head shaving (slips too easily) and therefore the Sensor does not fall into my rotation.

15. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

The last razor I shaved my head with was the Headblade. It's OK, but I couldn't get the hang of keeping the wheels on my head, and kept getting cut.
    I got better results with DE/SE/Injector razors.