Multiple strokes when shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BadgerMan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

Disclaimer: Unfortunately the descriptions of "one stroke per area" and "multiple, quick strokes" I use in the following post are maybe not the clearest way of conveying what I mean. If you watch the video hopefully you will get the idea!

I was just watching this video by GeoFatboy to check up on my shaving technique, specifically in terms of whether I should be taking one stroke with the razor per area (I usually go with about an inch or so) and then moving to the next area or whether it is ok to go over the same area with multiple, quick strokes. I have been working on the basis that multiple, quick strokes is bad because you are essentially going over an area that has no lather left on it, which shaving lore tends to state leads to razor burn. Imagine my surprise when I watched the aforementioned video to find GeoFatboy using the multiple, quick strokes technique!

I am now wondering if I have misinterpreted what people mean when they say not to shave over an area with no lather left on it or if it is just a case of GeoFatboy's technique being so good that he can shave like this without getting any razor burn?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use multiple, quick strokes and often will go over the same area sans lather. I use that technique for all three of my passes. Very seldom do I get razor burn and quite often will get darn near BBS every time.
    I'll put it down to what you speculated - it's all in the technique. Once you find the hardware you like, it's a matter of figuring proper angle of razor/blade to face and just how much pressure to use.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what I do naturally. I notice more irritation related to pressure. I think shave oils can help you cheat a little too.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I find the soap/cream I'm using makes a huge difference in this. Some, like the TSD stuff, which is really slick and leaves a lot of that slickness behind will let you take a few swipes with no ill effects. Others, like Crabtree & Evelyn soap which doesn't have a lot of slickness, will not let me do that at all. One stroke and done or risk razor burn.

Chuck F likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: Same as Steve, when using a DE razor. Light pressure = no irritation.
    With a straight razor, I use a similar number of short passes, albeit NOT as quick as with a safety razor, for obvious reasons. ;)

Omelmad and ObiDon like this.
  6. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

It's all just a rough guide IMO - an approximation of what works for that particular shaver ( youtube videos in particular I'm thinking of here, but it's also true of the euphemisms commonplace on the forums as well), not something that's meant to be taken too literally or too precisely. Not shaving over unlathered whiskers is basically good advice for someone without any experience, but it's also not uncommon to miss a bit and need to touch-up and finding there's still enough slickness (...or is it moisture?? LOL. Whichever...) left-over in the lather residue to nip the offending stubble.

Above all else always feel free to experiment I say, and find what works best for you. It may be that multiple quick passes will give you closer shave and without any irritation (a fair definition of a better shave in my book), but there's only one way to find out for sure...

178-bplatoon, Bristle Me and ObiDon like this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Little chops and some swooshes.

Bristle Me and ObiDon like this.
  8. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Sounds good. That could be dinner! (badum tssssh)

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I've only been DE shaving for a few months and have discovered that with a good slick cream I can go over some spots on my face with short strokes 2 or 3 times.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I say use what works best for you. As long as my skin stays wet I can do multiple passes on the same area without any irritation, but that wasn't always the case. I used to get horrible razor burn from going over an unlathered area. It seems that over time my skin became more and more conditioned to the blade and I developed less irritation.

178-bplatoon and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Using the method, whatever it is, that works best for you is the best advice thats given here.. I would tend to agree that the suggestions "never make a pass on an unlathered area or to never make multiple passes one behind the other are more a caution than a HARD and FAST rule. I have done both regularly since starting "traditional" shaving with little problem, except of course when I've overdone them.. :)
    That said YES you can easily overdo them and end up with really bad irritation. If you decide to go this route, it's best to work into them slowly(let your skin and common sense tell you when to stop).
    My final pass is always over just a wet face.

Let me make myself clear while I do shave over unlathered areas regularly, I ""NEVER" shave over a dry area. From what I've come to understand it's "WATER" that is the real lubricant for a shave and soaps, creams, oils, etc. are simply employed to keep the water on your skin and beard. :shaver

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I agree water's important but water isn't all that slick by itself. A little soap mixed in though makes it very slick. I do the same thing Eddie does sometimes but having a little soap mixed in with the water works better than just water for me.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

It depends on the soap/cream you're using, I use Stirling Soaps and can do several passes without issue.

14. Technium

Technium Active Member

Don't forget genetics. Not everyone can do what you're doing no matter how good the technique.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I find it impossible to get all the whiskers without going over the same area more than once. I agree that pressure (or lack of it) is the essence. I think that as long as you have some slickness on your skin and you are letting only the weight of the razor do the work, you can go over the same area more than once. It will come with experience too.

178-bplatoon likes this.