Music PIF Contest #1 *DONE*

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by GDCarrington, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

CONTEST IS CLOSED WINNER ANNOUNCED.

O.K. I have a little PIF for you and it involves a music contest.
    You will have to do some internet leg work on this one.

Now the prize is this:

1. 1 (One) GEM Micromatic Open Comb Razor: It is a shaver grade unit (I call it a shaver grade but let the pictures determine if it is to you) that has been boiled clean and oiled so that it opens and closes smoothly.

2. 10 (Two Five Packs) SE Blades: I recently bought these at a local pharmacy. I have not used these before, but they say they are for shaving razors and not paint stripping or for use in industrial knives.

3. 2 (Two) Bars of Yardley's Winter Spice Cinnamon Soap: My favorite bath soap which is usually made only in the winter season. This smells wonderful. If you like Cinnamon, then...

Here are the pictures:

DSCF1398.JPG

DSCF1399.JPG

DSCF1400.JPG

Here is the setup to the contest:

There was a studio backup group in Los Angeles that was recorded on more U.S. Top 100 hits than any other group. Their name was "The Wrecking Crew" and a web site documenting them is cited below. You would do well to look this site over very carefully because it contains clues to what you will need but not the entire set of answers.

http://wreckingcrew.tv/

Four of these session musicians graduated from this group and became star acts on their own with long lasting careers and to this date each one is still able to perform and is performing. Two of these performers are easy to spot and the other two are a little harder to spot but can be found quickly over various internet sites and articles.

Here are the rules:

To win this PIF, you need to name three of the four session musicians that became stars and their highest charting single song (not album) on the U.S. Top 100 chart that they recorded as a solo act (no duets or group recordings). The musician may play an instrument, serve as a backup singer, or do both.

If a musician had more than one song that reached the same peak position (tie) then you must pick the peak song with the most number of weeks on the charts. Once you know the artists this knowledge is easily available.

You may make only one "official" entry with your answers on this thread.

State on that thread you are making the answer on that this is your "official" set of answers.

If you provide an incorrect answer on your "official" entry, you are eliminated.

If you edit your entry posting after you have posted you are eliminated. We all can see post that are edited so you have one shot at a correct answer.

The first person that makes an official set of answers that meets the above criteria will be the winner. If no one provides the winning answer then the PIF ends without an award.

Now you can watch the video and research the group and even discuss openly anything about the subject on the thread, but your single "official" answer posting is the only one I will respond to, and only if it is the first correct response.

I have researched this and the answers to the questions are all available on the internet. You might just be surprised at who these artist are. BTW: I am the final arbiter of answers and my decisions are final. I will post the answers and their sources at the end of the contest.

This PIF contest will end on Wednesday March 7 at 7:00 PM CST or when I acknowledge the first correct official response that is posted.

Remember accuracy along with the first correct official posting will be rewarded.

Good luck!

macaronus and 5Savages like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Be informed that there is a change to this threads prize. In addition to the blades that are pictured, I will also add this a 10 pack of vintage PAL blades as well.
    Here is the final picture of the prize.

DSCF1402.JPG

Good luck!

macaronus and 5Savages like this.
  3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Very cool! If I wasn't going away for the weekend, I'd partake in this. I think I did figure out of the answers. If there's no answer when I get back, I'll see if I can figure out the rest.

Well done!

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  4. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Awesome PIF: I just spent the last 90 minutes getting a serious musical education. I had no idea. Found the answers, but alas I already have an OCMM so I will not be playing. (The Yardley is intriguing though.)

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Oh, cool. Where are you headed this weekend?

byrd, battle.munky and Dusty5150 like this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Very cool PIF! :)
    I've got an OCMM as well (the brass type) and so I'm not going to play as well. I am going to check for the answers, though, because it is fun! Thanx and good luck to the paricipants!

7. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I'll take a stab. Not sure if this is right, but here goes:

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy
    Dr. John - Right Place Wrong Time
    Nino Tempo - Sister James

Yes Regis, that is my final answer.

I have an MMOC, but if I win I'll PIF the razor to a fellow service member over here.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Brilliant, Randy.

byrd and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy
    Leon Russell - Lady Blue
    Billy Strange - The James Bond Theme

This is my official answer! Thanks for the great PIF!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

First Correct Answer and PIF Award.

There actually could have been 5 including Leon Russell with Tight Rope.

Glen Campbell

Rhinestone Cowboy US Hot 100 #1 23 Weeks on Chart

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/glen-campbell/chart-history/2287?sort=timeon

Cher

Believe US Hot 100 #1 31 Weeks on Chart

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/cher/chart-history/4278?sort=timeon

Dr. John

Right Place Wrong Time US Hot 100 #9

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/dr-john/chart-history/4494

Nina Tempo

Sister James US Hot 100 #53

Leon Russell

Tight Rope US Hot 100 #11

http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/leon-russell/5583

http://www.answers.com/topic/nino-tempo

K.J. please PM me to confirm your address.

Thanks for playing.

PIF closed.

11. thevez2

Awesome, Really looking forward to trying the Yardley and the PAL blades. The MMOC and the other blades will go to another wet shaver in Afghanistan.

Thanks for the PIF.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Cool! Congrats KJ and good on ya' GDC!

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

KJ the package is in route. My postnet man states that it will be 3 days to get tot the Military and then however long it takes them is, how long it takes them.

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congrats to all concerned...Great Pif...Great result...

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Awesome PIF! :happy096:

Congrats, KJ! :bounce017:

16. thevez2

Package arrived in Afghanistan today, that was Fast! I'm traveling next week, and meeting another wet shaver. He will be PIFed the MMOC. The soap smells great. Can't wait to try it. Thanks again Gary!.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Your welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.