My $2 DIY Challenge Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jayaruh, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is a brush I made for @Carbide Mike 's $2 DIY Challenge. I cut a piece of PVC pipe and whittled out the end so I could fit an old Semogue boar knot in it. I glued it all together with hot melt glue. To finish it off, I sealed the bottom with a quarter. So this brush is worth at least a quarter. The knot came from an old Semogue 1305 that had finished its life. It had a lot of short hairs that I trimmed off before setting it.

I did a test lathering with Soap Commander Renewal, and it performed flawlessly.

JR2dol_07.jpg

JR2dol_06.jpg

JR2dol_12.jpg

JR2dol_01.jpg JR2dol_02.jpg JR2dol_03.jpg JR2dol_04.jpg JR2dol_05.jpg JR2dol_06.jpg JR2dol_07.jpg JR2dol_12.jpg

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It isn't pretty, but it does look functional. Grin.

Sent via mobile

Carbide Mike and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You are right there, Chris. Kinda like me.

4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Pretty for me ! It gets even prettier the more I look at it ! Great job @Jayaruh ! You never disappoint !

Jayaruh and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pretty darn cool!! :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Pretty neat. There is a saying that with the correct Center of Gravity and enough power, anything will fly. Reckon it is with a knot. Whatever you mount it in (within reason) it is a shave brush.:happy036:

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think if you painted it or draw a design it would give it more flair without going over the $2 limit.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I thought about taking a Sharpie to it. I will have to think some more.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Yea something simple like a sharpie could really add to the overall appearance, I think it would be cool to do some flames in a bright color with a black background, or something cool like that.

I like that you have the creativity to come up with something like this, that's awesome.

twhite and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I'm still thinking about this.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and twhite like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Mike, I want to see that brush you are working on.

twhite and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm curious, too. In my search to find info about making knots there's very little talk about what product is used to hold the bristles together. It's a "glue", sometimes has a "glue bump". I've considered CA, epoxy, and JB Weld.

twhite, jimjo1031 and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have wondered about that myself.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

It may fall into the Trade Secret group of information. Looking at century old brushes "Set in Rubber" was common.

twhite and Jayaruh like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

From what I've read, polyester resin is poured into a mold for that particular size, like a silicone mold, and the knot is placed into it until cured. I guess even pop bottle caps could be used for a mold if the correct size is found.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's available locally. It's the stuff used to stick glass fabric together to make fiberglass. I should be able to get a quart sized setup. Without having experience or guidance I'd hate to waste materials and money making knots that shed. At $15+ for a quart it puts me out of the Two Dollar Challenge unless I make a bunch of knots. I'm hoping these will be of acceptable quality to share with other folks.

twhite and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I would think that for this thread, any glue you have lying around would work. As long as it holds the bristles together. I would think using a bottle cap and filling with glue, then place the knot in till the glue hardens. Then trim it to size.

RyX likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I used Sharpies to decorate. I then used polycrylic to seal it. I ended up with some smearing that makes it look like motion. HA! That was unintended.

JR2dol_14.JPG JR2dol_15.JPG JR2dol_18.JPG JR2dol_20.JPG

twhite, RyX, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  20. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty awesome brush and one well spent quarter!

Jayaruh likes this.