My alum block experiment

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

For a couple of years now I always responded to threads about alum blocks by saying I don't use it post shave. I just did not see any benefit.

Rather than just saying it was useless I decided to do a short trial of using alum block post shave every day for a month. I am now into week 2 and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how my face feels post-shave using an alum block. One difference I notice is I often get tiny micro weepers on my throat area (tough spot for me to get a close shave...especially with a SR) and I notice the astringent property of the alum seems to promote rapid healing...more than just Witch Hazel alone.

I am wondering if other alum-naysayers would be interested in doing a short trial using an alum block post shave and sharing your thoughts? (Alum block lovers need not apply! :)..though your thoughts are always welcome!)

Keithmax, Zykris and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Big fan, and recommend to all new converts. My first Alum block was started on 1 October 2015, and gave out a week ago, fwiw.

Zykris and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Found just the opposite. Used to use an alum block after my str8 shaves and couldn't figure out why my face had a slight burning sensation and was a bit red after the shave. Thought it was my technique. Stopped the alum, afore mentioned issues stopped.

jtspartan, PLAla and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I converted to the Alum Brotherhood awhile back. I used feel the same way you did, but found I enjoy the way my face feels after using it.

Zykris, PLAla and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I go through stages when it comes to Alum usage, my first two years I used it each time. I tested rinsing it off or leaving it on.
    I look forward to seeing this topic grow with different input from members.

Zykris and PLAla like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Besides the technique feedback telling me where I scraped skin rather than reduced beard, I like the skin tightening feel. Witch hazel doesn't give the same effect, though I do like an alcohol based AS burn.

I'm using an alum block that's lost it's label, but I think it's a Gentleman Jon's brand. Anyone using the push-up stick type? Razorock sells them, and there are antiperspirant sticks, too.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I used to use it often. Stopped, then picked it up again after I started using my 2011 R41; as a gauge of my shave. Oh baby did it gauge! Once I had the technique nailed down; took a while, I too put down the alum.

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've tried alum a few times but I tended to have some redness and irritation after using it as Steve @swarden43 described above. Witch hazel works better for me.

jtspartan and Zykris like this.
  9. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

PLAla & Swarden, may I hazard a guess that both of you gentlemen have Irish heritage? From what I've pieced together from various online & offline conversations I've had on alum, those (like me) with Irish heritage seem to have a skin sensitivity to alum and it has the opposite effect as advertised. Go figure!

PLAla and Zykris like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Alum works better for me than witch hazel. I'm mostly Irish blood myself.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

No sensitivity on the Welsh/ German/ Dutch/ French genetic mix here.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

English, Lancashire region.

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm a daily user. I always have an extra bar or two on hand since I am destine to drop it before it's time. I have yet to finish a whole bar. I guess I need to get a grip.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I didn't save it, but saw a photo of an alum block with a 1/2" wide rubberband (15mm elastic for our UK friends) installed for grip.

preidy likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use alum to gage my shave. I find it helps if I have a harsh shave. I also use on my finger tips to help stretch my skin.

Bama Samurai and preidy like this.