My First Razor !

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grant, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Active Member

This was the first razor I ever used , Please don't judge me on it's condition :( . As a young lad I didn't care about it .I do remember my Grand Father using it, it was left in the cabinet for years then i got my hands on it when I was about 13 years old ,Got cut up ALOT at first but , This is why I love gillette's .

Anyone else still have there First Razor ?

Picture 001.jpg Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg Picture 006.jpg Picture 017.jpg Picture 0078.jpg Pics Please !

battle.munky likes this.
  2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I do have my first razor and still use it in my rotation. It really doesn't have quite the amount of nostalgia as yours, being as I just bought my first DE about 7 months ago. :biggrin:

Grant likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Active Member

Which DE do you use ?

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

well, I have 7 right now and you will too soon enough. :happy102: My first one, though was a Parker 82R (I think). Then I got a SS, SA, Futur, 1912, Merkur 39C slant, and a OCMM that I just received as a PIF from someone here. (Thanks Dale!)

5. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

My first was a Parker 96r (about 2 years ago now), over tightened it a few weeks ago and popped the head right off. :(

My first vintage was a Super Adjustable, and it sees regular use and remains a favorite shaver. :cool:

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Dude! Don't worry about anybody baggin' on you for the condition of that razor. That was your Gramps' razor, man. My Gramps' razor's condition is unknown! You have an heirloom and I don't care what condition that its in, you have a gem! Congrats on owning something that many of us only wish we had :(

I do have my first razor, but it isn't passed down from a family member, it is an ebay razor.

How's it shave now that you aren't 13? :)

Grant likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Active Member

Haven't had the balls to use for about 10 years , I stopped using it and went to chuck in bin type then i a saw 1 at a sale .the same gillette razor and bought it now i have a few .I now use 40's rocket before that usa black beauty, I also collect ANY make of DE razor I also collect travel and pocket sets

8. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

The short answer to the actual question is "no, I do not still have my first razor." I will now ramble on for a while.

What bothers me is not so much that I don't have it, but that I would very much like to know what it was. When my dad gave me a DE razor in the 1971 or 72, and showed me how to use it, I just wasn't that interested. A razor was a razor, and the idea that I would one day be collecting these things would have seemed pretty improbable.

It was a one piece TTO, and I think it had an all metal handle. Most new Gillettes at that time had the black ones, so perhaps it was actually used when I got it. It may have been an adjustable, which would probably make it a Slim, but there's just no way to be certain. There's nobody left to ask who would remember.

I cut myself more often than I liked, and at some point went to Trac II, then Atra. I still have both of my Atra handles.

When I returned to DEs in 2009, my first was a Weishi. Never got to like it, so I PIFed it some time last year.

To the best of my belief, my father was still using a DE when he passed away in 2002. I wish I had it, but Mom moved out of that house, and the razor must have been thrown out.

9. Grant

Grant Active Member

So sorry you don't have you first razor , NOW I'M BEING BEING REALLY STUPID people keep using PIF ? Maybe it's because i'm english (don't hold that against me) or just new to this site help me PIF ?

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

PIF stands for "pay it forward". In other words, somebody does you a favor, and instead of paying him back, you return it by doing a favor for still another person. Within this forum it usually refers to giving away a razor or other shaving gear that you don't want, instead of selling it. The person who gets it will look for a chance to give something of his away to a third person, and so on. It could be extended well beyond that, however. Here's a Wikipedia article that explains the concept.

11. Grant

Grant Active Member

OK now I feel like 4th grade lol. Thank you , this kind of thing does not happen so much in england :(

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My first razor was a 2 blade cartridge thingy with a plastic handle about 25 yrs ago. My first DE currently resides with Bob in Maryland. My first SE is now living out in California with tomnat. I don't get overly attached to items. I prefer to keep a few nice razors around that I will enjoy using for the duration.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

And I am still enjoying it at least once every other week too Dale, thank you still. And if ever the attachment to it pops up, we'll work out something ;)

And after reading Dale's post I should clarify my post above. My first razor was a Gillette Sensor circa 1991/2ish but my first DE was a 1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable I got off of ebay.