My First Shave Scuttle

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I noticed that the soap I selected from PAA is 'soft' and if I try to lather from the container, it will use far too much soap than is necessary. So, I've come to the conclusion that I must 'load' a small amount from the soap container and then 'lather' it up in a separate bowl. After careful consideration and research, I decided to have the best of two methods of external lathering and had a 2-piece scuttle made.

I chose artisan Karen Goldberg of Karen's Pottery (an Etsy shop).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't used it yet because I waiting for Spring to start using this shaving set.

Here is a break down of my full Turquoise Shave Kit based around the 4711/Tom Ford Neroli Portofino scent (the two smell the same to me except Tom Ford's version lasts longer and is stronger):

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/4711-neroli-portofino-shave-kit-complete.54079/

I selected Karen after surfing a number of different Etsy shops looking for a matching Turquoise color that would go with my shave kit. She also was flexible enough to be willing to make me a 2-piece scuttle (if you order from her and you want the 2-piece, you must ask for it).

To avoid the 'clinck'ing sound of the two pottery pieces, I am going to buy this from home depot:

[​IMG]
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...l-Surface-Bumpers-36-per-Pack-49969/203661151

I bought these to put bumpers on the bottom of my wood shave stand and they worked and I think if I trim them down, the very 'thin' ones I circled should likely work if I put them on 2 or 3 sides of scuttle cup so that when the bowl is put in, it doesn't make the 'clink' sound. Karen provided me with some water proof puddy substance to accomplish this, but I want to try the more 'neat' and tidy looking vinyl bumpers first. I'll let you guys know if that works. Otherwise Karen still has the puddy solution she came up with.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Creams and softer soaps can be lathered on the face, just dab it. Nice scuttle!! I have so many bowels and a scuttle that get zero use. Enjoy!!

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great job getting creative. Scuttle looks nice and the rubber bumpers should work well as long as the glue holds up to the moisture.

Sent via mobile - Chris

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That looks good.

5. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

One drawback however. As I am trying to minimize my shave den this year.......I SHOULD NEVER HAVE CLICKED ON YOUR THEMED SHAVE LINKS!

Cool idea and execution. Must avert gaze.

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you got the links in your signature Tim @Tim Spencer! That sets a standard for folks like me that gather bits and pieces. It's all I can do to try to compliment a soap with an aftershave.
    You've taken it to a Pro level. :happy088:
    aproval.gif

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I have two more kits pending. The next one will be this weekend and the last one has been pushed back another 2 months from now due to a delay in obtaining some items.

RyX likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great looking scuttle. What made you decide on a two piece design?

[EDIT] I saw your reason in the link posted. Great idea!

RyX likes this.